Terpenes in sheets of pine bark

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smittiferous

Reaction score
Hey all!

Tried googling but unsuccessfully, I’m trying to find information on the potential content of terpenes contained in pine bark, especially about how long it will remain in the bark since processing. I’ve got some sheets of pine bark from Bunnings (the kind used for covering fences, strips of bark bound together with fine galvanised wire, comes in a roll) and I’m wondering whether any terpenes contained in the bark would have dispersed by the time the product is processed and makes it to the shelf. For what it’s worth, it’s also been sitting in my garage or outside for over eight months since I bought it. From what I can remember it doesn’t even have any piney sort of smell to it.

Safe? Not safe? Is there a way to test chemical content?

Thanks in advance!

I assume you are using it in an enclosure. If there is no smell, wouldn't that mean minimal terpene content? From my quick look, terpenes seem to be contained in the wood, but how much is in the bark I couldn't see.

I assume you are using it in an enclosure. If there is no smell, wouldn't that mean minimal terpene content? From my quick look, terpenes seem to be contained in the wood, but how much is in the bark I couldn't see.
Yes, as lining for walls for decoration and a climbing feature. I’m hoping that is the case (no smell, no terpenes) but I’d rather be absolutely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back