Thawing Mixed Pet for Pythons in the same sink

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by Rob Colbert, Jun 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Colbert

Rob Colbert Not so new Member

Hi everyone,. Could I please ask your thoughts. Normally when I thaw food for my reptiles in a warm sink I do it all at the same time.

Quail, extra large adult rats, mice, pinkies ECT.

I am starting to wonder if this practice is cross contaminating the scents and confusing the reptiles or if it's fine to do what I have been doing.

I look forward to your replies
    kind regards Rob

2. cris

cris Almost Legendary

I just thaw in a bucket or a mug for small amounts of food. Easier to clean. While rats and mice are edible I don't want the smell in my kitchen sink.

Bl69aze likes this.
  3. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

Similar to this, i just put everything in freezer bags, run a bucket of warmish 30c water and dump all the food in and cover it with a handtowel, itll stay warm for hours

The most important part with defrosting food, is making sure its still warm when you give it to the animal, you have probably noticed putting a frozen item into warm water will almost instantly chill the water, so you might have to change the water every now and then :)

Rob Colbert likes this.
  4. Sdaji

Sdaji APS Veteran APS Veteran

You will cross scent them, but usually this isn't a problem. I also defrost in warm/hot water. Almost everything I feed is rats and mice, but if I do occasionally use something like Asian House Geckoes I thaw them separately. Probably wouldn't hurt to thaw them all together anyway.

Rob Colbert likes this.
  5. Rob Colbert

Rob Colbert Not so new Member

Thank you everyone for your help with this.

Kind regards Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.