Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchy88

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity whats the appeal of owning venomous snakes? I've only been in the game a few years so maybe it hasn't click in me yet. But why would I want to house something that could kill me? I can't really interact with and just watch through the glass rather then have them sit on my shoulder or crawl around my arms. Like to hear from all the venomous keepers on the issue

I've been in the game for about 18 years and I'm still not fazed by vens... Don't get me wrong, there's some amazing looking elapids out there, but nothing I want to take home with me... I suppose that's what makes everyone unique, what gives me a twitch, doesn't necessarily do it for you.... I'd like to hear from some keepers of vens too, how often do they interact with their snakes, do they strictly hook and tail or is there a little free handling etc? How do you go about not getting complacent etc? Close calls, bites, escapee's... Don't mean to hijack your thread, just interested....

When i first started keeping pythons i could never imagine myself getting involved with colubrids or vens and could'nt understand for the life of me why anyone would want to.. but im now looking into getting some GTS'. I think appreciation of the snake would have to be the #1 reason for buying a ven, being content with watching through the glass and observing the snake for what it is.

Some people do get complacent sd1981. Someone very recently got bitten by their inland after free handling it, or so I'm led to believe.

Different strokes for different folks really.

I will say this though, I'm sure some people who keep them probably shouldn't, but the same goes for any animals.

I personally would love to sit back and watch a colourful red belly black snake, i think they're such an amazing animal.

Last edited:
No recorded deaths from RBB,s their venom is quite low in toxicity compared to other Aussie elapids...

No recorded deaths from RBB,s their venom is quite low in toxicity compared to other Aussie elapids...
oh now thats something i didnt know. I have to admit i havent really done any research into it, i dont really want to either because no doubt ill be on the hunt for one soon enough. Good thing to know though.

I guess a lot of it comes down to personal preference, I have always been more interested in Elapids and Colubrids. In terms of the getting out and sitting on the shoulder, I prefer to just sit back and watch my fish, they don't like it much when I put them on my shoulder either lol

i think for me it brings a new form of respect, really I'm more scared of a large cranky lacey then i am of most venomous snakes.

Just like owning fish or spiders really, the appeal is with the individual keeping them. I know for me it's a combination of both fascination and passion, vens behave differently from your average python. Highly alert and a whole lot more active, they make for very interesting captives to observe. Treat them with respect and a lack of complacency and you'll have very few dramas with them.

You don't have to grab and hold everything. Alot of the beauty of animals is just sitting back and watching them do their own thing be it a snake a fish a bird or what ever. I love lions but feel no urdge to jump the fence at the zoo and start getting piggy back rides from it lol. I don't mind handling my snakes and lizards every now and again but I get as much enjoyment just watching them crawl around a display enclosure. Maybe in time ill own some vens but just because their poisioness will have no bearing on my decision, it'll be because their some beautiful snakes. Red belly, yellow tigers and especially the collets, all stunning looking animals. Each to their own, some people like dogs, some cats, some birds others reptiles the list goes on.

I was interested to hear peoples reply as well. I'm also new to reptiles, and while I love the look of the RBB, I don't think I could keep anything that could kill me (Brown, Inland etc)....do you triple lock their enclosures or something? LOL I'd be paranoid that they could escape.

I recently caught the ven bug. I only have a red belly at the moment, but when i return from an overseas trip, i'll be looking to 'upgrade' to a tiger snake.

As has been mentioned, they are so more alert to their surroundings, constantly roaming around their enclosure. And in my case, I do take the RBB out and handle him. Much more exciting than any python IMO.

My dream is to actually own a saltie one day. In the next couple of years ill start off with a freshy in a 10ft tank but as the whole could kill you thing goes, so could a car. You could be walking down the street and get collected or could be driving to work and crash. You just have to learn to asses your risks, there's no point living your life inside a bubble.

Keeping snakes isn't all about handling and harrassing the animals. I interact with my vens probably even more so then my pythons and as a whole they are a lot more interesting. But then I don't get my kicks out of cuddling and holding my snakes like they are puppies.

I was interested to hear peoples reply as well. I'm also new to reptiles, and while I love the look of the RBB, I don't think I could keep anything that could kill me (Brown, Inland etc)....do you triple lock their enclosures or something? LOL I'd be paranoid that they could escape.

As per licence conditions, they need to be in an enclosure that can be locked with a key. By the time you get to owning vens you should also be past the escapee point. It's very easy to build/design enclosures that are escape proof.

As per licence conditions, they need to be in an enclosure that can be locked with a key. By the time you get to owning vens you should also be past the escapee point. It's very easy to build/design enclosures that are escape proof.

Ah, thanks. I guess I don't have much faith in those glass sliding locks (well, not the one I have LOL). :D

i think for me it brings a new form of respect, really I'm more scared of a large cranky lacey then i am of most venomous snakes.

Very interesting quote for me, as I keep lacies, and although I'm not scared of them, I have enough constant "excitement" (aka respect) over the possibility of having a love bite that I don't get complacent, and have the huge amount of respect that one should have when dealing with a natural predator... Yet, the thought of an eastern brown or an inland taipan, frankly, makes me need to check to ensure I haven't messed up my shorts ( in a bad way )...
I suppose I'll have to make mates with an elapid keeper and get a bit more insight into Australia's deadliest....

Just out of curiousity whats the appeal of owning venomous snakes? I've only been in the game a few years so maybe it hasn't click in me yet. But why would I want to house something that could kill me? I can't really interact with and just watch through the glass rather then have them sit on my shoulder or crawl around my arms. Like to hear from all the venomous keepers on the issue

I don't think it's about the level of interaction, as many people own fish and you can't exactly sit them on your lap and have a good ol pat. You do however get to enjoy a usually very colourful and soothing creature move around a safe enclosure you have made yourself. I think you have a healthy respect owning an animal that you know could cause you harm. If you look after it, and follow what you are meant to then something like that won't happen. IMO I don't see the difference in housing those where you can see them, and owning a 2 Tonne bull that can just turn on you in split second. (Growing up on farms that does happen) To each their own :)

I think the most amazing thing about elapids is when they are active and you are watching them....you can see intelligence in their eyes. They are extremely alert and aware of you and your movements. They watch you like a hawk and you can see the wheels turning inside their head...
Whereas watching a python (of which I admit I have lots and lots of) looks like watching some stoner dude or a drunk lying on a bench at the local park....not much going on up top....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back