The Best Sand

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a dilemma in deciding what's the best sand to use for my Netted Dragons. I'm looking for sand that's suitable for lizards, holds moisture well, good for burrowing, doesn't produce a lot of dust, and that looks reasonably nice. For a while I have been using white petshop sand and it's good for burrowing and it doesn't look bad, but it doesn't hold moisture well and the dust it makes is phenomenon! Just changed to white washed sand from Bunnings and it's not too dusty. But the grains seem to be a bit big for my tastes. Also I don't like the colour too much. It's just about pure white. However, the Netted Dragons love to dig in it and the moisture appears to be holding well.

Where else can I look for some good quality sand that ticks all the right boxes? What does everyone else use and what are the pros and cons? I know next to nothing on the different types of sand. Any sand experts out there? :facepalm:

We use the play sand from Bunnings as well. For the burrowing lizards we have put in some PVC pipes as tunnels, with elbows on each end sticking out.

You could have a look at the loamy sands brickies use, it has a clay content so holds together well and takes moisture. Its called brickies sand or brickies loam, from sand and cement yards.

Nothing beats natural red dessert! I'm one of those keepers who swears by it haha. Doesn't matter what company etc so long as it doesn't have anything added to it, it will be fine! I use in basically all my enclosures (2 exceptions which don't contain arid or semi-arid dwellers).

Thanks for the input. Hopefully I can go and look at some more sand tomorrow. The current sand I'm using just seems to be an eye sore at the moment. Any chance of some photos of your current setups with the type of sand you're all using?

Also just moved property and I've noticed that some areas have some nice looking red sand. I may take a look at that too when I have the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back