The Bull Snake.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primo

Reaction score
I was able to get out with a friend of mine last week and hit the field here stateside. Here in Minnesota my friend has access to some private, university land where the university conducts all types of plant and animal studies.

The bull snake is a colubrid that lives in open fields. However the fields usually have a lot more cover than what you'll see here. My friend knows when the forestry service does the annual prescribed burns, and usually after the old/dead cover is burnt off and the new stuff begins to grow we find bulls!

These snakes will usually work their way into gopher burrows and crush the inhabitant up against the burrow walls and then eat them.

Have a look at these guys.

They can go about 6 feet, and get rather thick. They are fairly docile. This time of year they are mating.

003.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:
I love bull snakes. Unfortunately you have to be licensed to own one in Alberta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This was my first time seeing them in the wild, and my friend has see many more within the last week. I like the banded tail. It reminds me of some of the carpet python bands I see now and then.

I was rather surprised to see these guys out in the open. There is a thread posted elsewhere of a red tailed hawk, that tried to a attack a large bull, the photos show the hawk lost the battle.

These guys are pretty formidable predators when the get large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back