The dog thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys :D She's a lil so and so now that she knows she owns the house! I just realised she's 4 months old tomorrow, I'll have to get some new piccies up for you :)

Alfie the bitsa

These are some pictures of our new little man. His name is Alfie and he is 10 weeks old. My partner and I had been talking about getting a dog for a while and with her having 6weeks leave from work we thought now was the perfect time.
Alfie's dad is bullmastif x ridge back and his mum is a rottweiler x American bulldog. He is so placid and very lazy and just loves it when the kids fuss over him.

Attachments

• 20121219_195441.jpg
    20121219_195441.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20121228_141159.jpg
    20121228_141159.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20121225_101743.jpg
    20121225_101743.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 92
Clipped my boy off for the rest of summer... Gonna take a while to get used to seeing him like this :|

430963_10151404560177952_963634916_n.jpg

Clipped my boy off for the rest of summer... Gonna take a while to get used to seeing him like this :|

430963_10151404560177952_963634916_n.jpg

I got told by a breeder never to clip border collies

your border collie should not be shaved at all. so many different reasons.the hair WILL not grow back the same right away. it varies between dogs, but the norm is about 6 months to a year of growing out before the hair is back to normal. it is my belief that the more you shave a dog with an undercoat, the more likely it will be that the hair never comes in the same. so until it grows out, your dog will look terrible and actually be more work to take care of. the reason it takes so long is because the gaurd hairs, or top coat, take a lot longer to grow than the undercoat (the hair that sheds). your dog will be a fluffy mess for awhile, and brushing everyday will be a must b/c the fluffy undercoat mats extremely easily when they are no gaurd hairs. also, b/c your dog uses his coat for insulation against cold and hot weather, he will be at a greater chance of getting heatstroke in the summer, and freezing in the winter, and this is until his coat full grows out. that means that you have to be even more careful with prolonged exposures to extreme weather. people like to excuse shaving their doublecoated breeds by saying "oh but he is so hot", when it is simply not true. if your dog indeed is cooler without his coat, then that is b/c the owner is not grooming the dog enough, and the undercoat has become impacted. that is the only way a dog with an undercoat is at risk with his full coat. im sorry that him being in full coat isnt very easy, but you are the one who wanted a border collie, and im assuming that you knew the dog had a lot of fur. any groomer you take your dog to will know this, and some will refuse to do your dog simply b/c they are against doing harm to an anaimal, and they believe taking away a dogs thermal regulater to be harmful. if they do take your dog, then i wouldnt use that groomer.

Cathy

Last edited:
Cathy. I am FAR from an idiot, so do not attempt to imply it. I am fully aware of the breed, its coat characteristics. So do not imply that I'm a fool and a bad owner, when you so clearly do not know me, or my dog. I could explain every tiny aspect of how I care for this pup but I feel no reason or need to justify it to you.

I'd like to et I know a lot more about pet care than the average person- however you wont understand the extent of this or why because as I said, you do not know me. Others on here do.

Last edited:
Well said Kitah, totally agree with you. I shave my parents' BC and Shelties for a variety of reasons that certainly don't involve 'easier' coat care or keeping them cooler. I love keeping them in their full coats but sometimes the decision has to be made to take it off, sadly. And as you said, no need to justify those reasons or explain them to a total stranger who immediately wants to judge and force their personal opinion and judgement down your throat. He is a gorgeous BC, my parents have a blue, never had a BC before him, totally unique personality!

Cathy - "I got told by a breeder..." is THE SINGLE WORST excuse. Ever. Since when do breeders *cough, massive generalisation, cough* tend to know diddly-squat about what is indeed the best, health and management wise, for an individual dog that is not of their own? I'm namely talking about breeders who obviously show their animals in full coat, and don't remove any undercoat, in order to have a 'show-condition' coat. I have even seen showdogs having talc of various colours backbrushed into their coats to make them fuller. Since when is THAT giving a toss about the dogs health and wellbeing over just having a 'pretty' show-standard animal when it's not even the animal's true coat?? I am a HUGE advocate for responsible breeding and showing, so for all of you who are part of this world, take what i said with a grain of salt. I have enormous respect for you who work to maintain and improve your chosen breed/s, i am just super critical of those who are truly not, as they say, an advocate of the breed and instead misrepresent them. Saying "a breeder told me..." doesn't cut it if you ask me. That's like saying "i read it on the internet"...

And just because i can....

View attachment 275570

@ cathy, have you ever tried to find a paralysis tick on a full coated dog?
And my favourite saying - "getting advice from a breeder, is like getting gynaecology advice from a pimp".;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok i asked the vets the same thing and they said the same thing double coated dogs should never get clipped

as for ticks and fleas they have preventions for that
Advocate Flea Control & Heartworm Preventative
Advantix Flea & Tick Control
Comfortis Flea Control
Virbac Preventic Tick Collar

etc etc

As I said I'm not an idiot, I work in the veterinary industry. I live in prime tick area on acreridge with a dam. Kody has advantix religiously every two weeks. However no tick prevention is ever 100% protective. I have treated tick cases where prevention has been used and I have seen a paralysis tick fully engorged uderneath a tick collar.
This is just one reason why he is clipped.

This bit in particular annoys me- ' I'm sorry that him being in full coat isnt very easy, but you are the one who wanted a border collie, and im assuming that you knew the dog had a lot of fur' since when did I make any comment about it being 'difficult' to look after? I love grooming kody and he loves the attention- he has never had matted fur. I would strongly suggest you learn to stop jumping to concusions.

But by all means call me a baddie- water off a ducks back.

Mods.. If the pic is going to continue the argument could you remove it? Couldnt be bothered dealing with it and its not needed on the forum. Sorry for starting it..

Al i'll say on that :) more dog pics needed!!

Last edited:
My beaglier (beagle cross cavalier) named Sammy. he is 10 months old now

First one (when he was 8 weeks old)
Second one (when he was only a few weeks old)
Third one (when he was about 7 months)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 2.51.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 2.51.35 PM.png
    651.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Photo 9-06-12 3 17 31 PM.jpg
    Photo 9-06-12 3 17 31 PM.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Photo 11-05-12 7 43 47 PM.jpg
    Photo 11-05-12 7 43 47 PM.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 66
A few more recent ones of my girl...

Nomming
DSCF8067.jpg

Post-nomming
DSCF8054.jpg
Cuddles with the hooman
381749_10150557441722604_696912603_11306073_546995182_n.jpg

Chilling in ze sunshines
Scarls in the Sunshine.jpg

Coot silleh facey *squee*
DSCF8050.jpg

Haven't really formally introduced Bonnie here....

Bonnie's good side...
394927_464910170232319_163865431_n.jpg

Bonnie's other side...
734860_464910176898985_1230573723_n.jpg

Bonnie's front side...
734202_464910160232320_581645844_n.jpg

This is what happens when good dogs go bad....
16689_464910220232314_566132988_n.jpg

The truth about that photo is it is their game... It's no where near as ugly as it makes it out to be in this photo. They absolutely love their rough and tumble... I just love how a cute wee lab/collie can look so vicious!!!

Their other games look like this:

150630_464910216898981_1132878705_n.jpg

hot day today

As the Victorians on here would know, its a bloody hot day today, even hotter tomorrow (41) and my dogs just aren't coping haha

Black and white one's name is Zappa, after Frank Zappa and hes a miniature foxi X jack Russel

Black and brown ones name is Ziggy, after Ziggy stardust and she is a Pomeranian X jack Russel, you wouldn't know it but her mum was nearly identical to Zappa :)

IMG_1712.jpgIMG_1710.jpg

They were so small... This pic from the breeder just after we chose them.
T and T.jpg

And then they got bigger

T&T&S.jpg

Quite a few years ago we bought a german sheperd pup, we had to leave it outside cause dad wouldnt let us keep it inside and he got stolen that night, was so bummed. We were offered another one for free from the breeder but we said no cause we didnt wanna risk it. Since then we've gotten 2 dogs, a curly coated retriever x border collie and a labrador :) ill post some pics later.

we had to leave it outside cause dad wouldnt let us keep it inside and he got stolen that night, was so bummed

So sad. :( I just can't understand people who do this - if it's for money, then they usually won't make THAT much from reselling a dog unless it's some crazy rare purebred.

It's no better than kidnapping a child to be honest. I would be absolutely devastated if someone took my dog - he is family, and I wouldn't stop until I had tracked down the person and done some not so nice things to them. :evil:

So sad. :( I just can't understand people who do this - if it's for money, then they usually won't make THAT much from reselling a dog unless it's some crazy rare purebred.

It's no better than kidnapping a child to be honest. I would be absolutely devastated if someone took my dog - he is family, and I wouldn't stop until I had tracked down the person and done some not so nice things to them. :evil:

Yeh we were pretty devostated, we did do a search but came up empty handed. He was the cutest little thing.
Nothing more worse tho is when people bait ur dogs cause their too "noisy" or "ugly", that really makes me angry.

emevyryn.jpg
8u4eruse.jpg

I know I've already introduced Miss Chivas Regal, but here is the expert Christmas Beetle hunter Again. Abandoned chihuahua cross. Probably the quietest dog I ever met!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back