Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are making me want more fish, and more fish tanks! I just can't at the moment... *sigh*

I know the feeling lol.

True, I just had the thought of being easy to grab. I know turtles eat them. Would look great. Be a good enclosure for them because they wouldnt be able to escape.

I only said Tandanus tandanus cause I really want one but the only tank I have thats large enough has other things in it. Im considering getting one for the pond when its finished.

Get archers and watch them spit at the monitor :) now Im being silly.

Lol, archers spitting at the monitors :)

Even turtles leave the bigger eels alone. Just get one that's big enough. You'd have more trouble finding small ones though lol.

sooty grunters look cool! i thought about eels and archers - only thing with eels is they get pretty big not that it botheres me i just want there to be room for the monitor and the fish/eel. i went off the archers though cause i thought the monitor would probably try eat them.

i have a tandanus tandanus and he is great
great fiosh to watch
i keep him in with my doublayis

Ah I want more fish, Im planning on the victorian native because I can use quite a few small varieties that I like and it would be a very interesting non-tropical but a QLD or NT one would be very cool as well but Id need a big tank :D

sooty grunters look cool! i thought about eels and archers - only thing with eels is they get pretty big not that it botheres me i just want there to be room for the monitor and the fish/eel. i went off the archers though cause i thought the monitor would probably try eat them.

With eels, they can get pretty big, but it takes years! They pretty slow growing. My mum had an eel that was around 50cm when she got it.
It died a few years after cos it got out and it was only 65cm. It was a lot thicker though.

The only way to avoid the fish getting eaten by the monitor would be to make sure it's big enough to be left alone.
You don't often see big archers for sale though.

OOOH! Another fish that would be awesome! Jungle Perch. I've only ever seen them for sale in Brisbane in two shops so not sure on availability, but if you can get them, they are awesome lil fish :)

Last edited:
Im struggling to think of many large fish that wouldnt grow out of the tank.

What about a sole fish? I love my little guy. He's flat and relatively insignificant, and awesome to keep. So much character.

yea true! it would look pretty cool but my mertens is around 900mm long (300mm SVL).
i guess some medium fish would be alright as long as they cant get swallowed! a saratoga would be awesome but i would cry if it got eaten!
what are your opinions on a few Leiopotherapon unicolor?

yea true! it would look pretty cool but my mertens is around 900mm long (300mm SVL).
i guess some medium fish would be alright as long as they cant get swallowed! a saratoga would be awesome but i would cry if it got eaten!

I'd be more worried about the monitor getting eaten lol :p

My jardini grew to over a foot from 7cm in about a year...

hahahahaha! yea :) a guy at my local aquarium use to have an arawana and i use t o bring in mice for it every 2 weeks as a treat - was mad!

Would they be too small? There are some other perch that are larger.

I was looking at Southern Pygmy Perch (Nannoperca australis) for my vic tank and came accross the Golden perch (Macquaria ambiguaas) well but it wouldnt suit as it gets 30-40cm but that might be better for yours.

Last edited:
im not sure they gt around 150mm - 200mm so it might be alright. it would be nice if my monitor wasnt so food orientated!

I want freshwater stingray's but I know hardly anything about them so far. Not aussie.

they would be cool, im pretty sure someone on here had and bred them at one stage. ive heard they are hard but never looked into it. i wouldnt care if they werent aussie, if they were easy to keep and would kill the mertens or vise versa i would have one

They need BIG tanks, more wider than taller. A good sized tank would be a 6x3 at least.
Plus they're pretty expensive. I've only seen motoros available in Australia. Anything else would be a lot more expensive if they came up.

You can pick up motoros for about $400ea these days
I payed $1000 for my trio a year ago
Really not hard to look after at all and were easily the best pet i ever owned. So interesting

Wow thats cheaper than I thought, do you have anything else with them? Where are they from? What stats are on your tank? Any odd info thats good to know?
Would they go with geo's? Im guessing they like same conditions and would get along.

Last edited:
Wow thats cheaper than I thought, do you have anything else with them? Where are they from? What stats are on your tank? Any odd info thats good to know?

Yeah theyve dropped price a lot.
I had a colony of frontosas, silver arowana, blood parrots and a gar. You can keep anything with them really except plecos or catfish and the plecos can suck the slime coat off the stingrays which will kill them and catfish are also bottom dwellers so there is a big chance they will kill them alson
The tank i had was 6x2x2 but the rays were only small, id recommend width be 2.5-3ft and they need more width then height
Nothing odd really, they are pigs and will eat prawns, pellets etc and a lot of them if theyre offered. They grow at a fairly quick pace but wont get much bigger than 2ft across but it takes a fair while to get that big
Like i said they are the most intertesting pet you can own imo and ive owned a lot. Will definitely be the first thing i buy when i set up my new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back