Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to purchase some Dwarf Green Tree frogs in the Sydney area.

send me a private message if you know where I can get some :)

Thanks

meh, Im setting up a 60cm by 45 cm (2ft by 1.5ft) enclosure. I was thinking last night that a 3 ft would be pretty good size for a breeding enclosure with heaps of water and too simulate rain. But a pair of GTF should be fine in a 2ft enclosure.

I havent ruled out Red Eyed Tree frogs, but I have heard that they dont really cope with handling as well as the GTFs do.

094.jpgSouthern Brown Tree Frogs
318.jpgSouthern Brown again climbing the back feature wall
312.jpgGTF set-up
317.jpgSpotted Marsh (love the growling noise from these guys)
314.jpgGTF

But would love some more frogs if there is any for sale in the Macedon Ranges (within an hours drive nearby) PM if you do!!

IMG_3682.jpg20072010.jpgSAM_0113.jpgIMG_3680.jpg

Thought i'd throw a few pics in here.

New cage i got a few weeks back. Added in a rain system which is pretty awesome. Should bring about some loud summer evenings.

Got 10 Red eyes, 4 Daintys and a lonely Perons calling this home. Cage is approx 2ft x 1.5ft x 2.5ft

The pics of the frogs were taken a few months back in their old cage.

Sorry about the quality of the cage pic. Mobile phone camera sucks.

Last edited:
Are aiming to breed with the rain system?
Or is there other husbandry benefits to it?

Hey guys i keep These Frogs in Victoria, might be able to find some pics a bit later

4 Spotted Marsh Frog
3 Southern Brown Tree Frogs
8 Eastern Dwarf Tree Frogs
3 Green Tree Frogs
2 Perron's Tree Frogs
6 Red eyed Tree Frogs
2 Growling Grass Frogs
5 Eastern Banjo Frogs

and in Tasmania i keep

4 Southern Brown Tree Frogs
3 Spotted Marsh Frogs
1 Eastern Comman Froglet

Are aiming to breed with the rain system?
Or is there other husbandry benefits to it?

Mainly to stimulate breeding. I havent bred before, but i have a couple adults who are ready to breed and showing early signs of breeding behaviour, so i thought i;d give it a go.

As far as husbandry benefits, i suppose it would increase humidity and air temp as i'm pumping the heater water from the base through the rain system.

I personally just like the visual / sound effects you get from the rain. Once it goes on they all come to life and the boys start singin, and it sounds like the Daintree in my loungroom.

Rain system would be really cool to have. Definitely something I would like to do down the track.

Im still trying to decide between GTFs or Red Eyed Tree Frogs, anyone have a preference for one or the other?

Mainly to stimulate breeding. I havent bred before, but i have a couple adults who are ready to breed and showing early signs of breeding behaviour, so i thought i;d give it a go.

As far as husbandry benefits, i suppose it would increase humidity and air temp as i'm pumping the heater water from the base through the rain system.

I personally just like the visual / sound effects you get from the rain. Once it goes on they all come to life and the boys start singin, and it sounds like the Daintree in my loungroom.

Cool, I was just wondering, I've seen people just put the cages outside during rains, and storms and they bred.

But seeing as it sounds nice and look cool I might give it ago soon.
Did you just use the out-take valve, coiled it along the roof and put holes into it?

at the moment i just have a pond waterfeature bit. It's kind of like those old round shower heads but in minature. I have tapped that and screwed it onto a 90deg plastic plumbers fitting that conects to the hose from the pump. I run the hose up the back corner in front of the background so it spays out and covers only 1/3 of the tank with the "rain". I run a seperate pump for the rain as the filter out flow is not strong enough.

Picture 005.jpgPicture 006.jpg

really crappy pics but you get the idea. My description sucked so heres a couple pics i just took.

tank is about 2ft wide, 1.5ft deep, 2.5ft high i think.

Thats great :)
Its pretty much the same size as my tank so i think I can make something work.

I'm just thinking of ideas just looking at my tank.
I have limited power outlets right now so I want to use the same water-filter for filtering the water and the rain simulator.
Would this effect the filtration?
I was thinking if I aim the rain to only drip on an artificial wall as well as the water area, what do you think?
I'm worried about water not going back in the system again and letting the water level go to low.

My rain simulator would be much what I said in a eariler post.
Just the filter out-take with tubing to the roof, then coil the tubing and mark out some holes.
Punch them in with a pin and block up the end.

What do you think hahah.

I have limited power outlets right now so I want to use the same water-filter for filtering the water and the rain simulator.
Would this effect the filtration? Wouldnt effect the filtration i dont think, what may be an issue is if the pump in the filter is stong enough to pump the water to the required height at a decent pressure for the rain system to work. I wouldny worry abou the outlets too much. I have the rain, filter, heater, and uv all runing off one power board.

I was thinking if I aim the rain to only drip on an artificial wall as well as the water area, what do you think? Sounds good. Would creat a waterfall effect as well.

I'm worried about water not going back in the system again and letting the water level go to low. That was one of my concerns also, so i just have the entire base of the tank aquatic. I still have to top up the water at least twice a week. As long as you keep an eye on water levels it should be ok. My only concern would be that the land section may get water logged if the frogs deflect too much of the rain away from the water section.

I like your ideas mate. Sounds like it would look real nice. Just a thought for ya. Check the link below on a cool idea of rain maker i saw on you tube. I was gunna make mine the same, but then i found the pond outlet in my box'o'bits, and decided to try that out first, I'm pretty happy wityh the results i have gotten.

[video=youtube;jZRVEZsCzQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZRVEZsCzQM[/video]

Only if they smiggled them in.

I would luv some but no can do. Government wont let me.

They the Central American Red Eye Tree Frog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back