The Gardeners Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Brisbane, so zero frost ever haha. I'd say I count as living on the coast. I might go to a nursery today and check out some succulents. They look fantastic.

Lies !!! I live in brisbane u cant tell me when im out bootcamp training at 6 am comando crawling through grass that crunches under my arms it isnt frosty :'( it was torture this morning my poor arms only just defrosted after my HOT shower :)
But I guess its not as bad as other places but just letting u know that we do get frost in brisbane hahahah ;-)

From Cathy

I live in Brisbane, so zero frost ever haha. I'd say I count as living on the coast. I might go to a nursery today and check out some succulents. They look fantastic.

You should be good to go. Remember with succulents and cactus its better to underwater then overwater. Whatever genus/species you buy make sure you read if it is a summer or winter grower. I'd also read about how to winterize succulents.

This is my first time trying to grow peppers, Habaneros to be exact. Besides starting them late so far so good. I cant believe how much tastier home grown ones are compared to store bought.

I got a couple of these Orthophytums in the mail the other day. They look a little sad at the moment, but they will perk up in no time.

A few of my Aloe hybrids are flowering at the moment. I wonder what these two will produce.

My favorite Mammillaria is about to flower for the first time.

I did this little carnivorous plant thing(I don't know what to call it) a couple weeks ago. It finally started to grow again. it looks like crap I forgot to water it for a couple of days and it completely dried out. I'm not used to having to water a plant every day anymore lol.

Nice job Patrick, they won't eat each other that close will they? :p

I have one flower coming out atm on my one strand of eater cactus lolz....i'll see if it's open yet. Want to get a heap of them for the front porch in some hanging baskets.

I've bought
2 each white and black mulberry cuttings (sprouting leaves and flower buds now)
1 raspberry cutting, also sprouting leaves and flower buds
1 saphote sapling
1 thornless blackberry cutting
all soon to go into the ground or into very big pots soon.

I also hope to start germinating some nasturtiumand other edible flowers , strawberries (3 types), and a variety of herb and greens from seed soon in my new Aquarmiser kit to go onto some raised flower beds and some big pots too for this summer.

I like berries and berry pies, and if I am going to grow stuff, I want it to be edible . And I'm sure my lizards will appreciate the berries and greens and herbs too.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see some pics of your yummy plants LW :)

Warning on the black mulberries - Washing line and birds feeding on the berries :/

Nice job Patrick, they won't eat each other that close will they? :p

I have one flower coming out atm on my one strand of eater cactus lolz....i'll see if it's open yet. Want to get a heap of them for the front porch in some hanging baskets.

Thanks Brett. I'd like to see updated pictures of your garden if you have any.

Heres some more pictures I took yesterday.

I really like how they glow with back lighting.

On the right side of the leaf you can see a small fruit fly.(excuse the soil)

Hi Cali ,your Drosera capensis , Sarracenia purpurea venosa and Dionaea muscipula ,all look as good as mine --BUT IT'S THE MIDDLE OF WINTER OVER HERE !!!! :lol: .I would have the water about half way up the pot in the summer .

Hi Cali ,your Drosera capensis , Sarracenia purpurea venosa and Dionaea muscipula ,all look as good as mine --BUT IT'S THE MIDDLE OF WINTER OVER HERE !!!! :lol: .I would have the water about half way up the pot in the summer .

Thank you for the I'ds and the tip. I saw these in tiny pots at my local nursery and thought they would look great together. I've seen these types of things in stores lately and I wanted to get back into cp's. There's carnivorous bromeliads, and there's aquatic carnivorous plants that im going to have to get in the near future.

^^ yes the ' carnivorous broms 'are a new ish discovery , they weren't ever mentioned in my early carnivore books .Heliamphora, Nepenthes and sarracenia are all related to bromeliad's .The Heliamphora are more easily cultivated now with over twenty years of cultivation.

Catopsis also belongs to the bromeliad family and before its inclusion to the carnivore list there was much debate to wether it really belonged or not .The aquatic plants can sometimes be bought from aquariums without the shops knowing as they are not something that they look for and are often tangled up in the plants they sell for the fishy people .

its time for cutting back re potting here so I will post pics mid spring

Just recieved a red and a black curant stick in the mail and some seed to grow passionfruit and finger limes Love curants, passionfruit and finger lime with icecream and pavlova.

Unfortunately Patrick my garden (As pictured at start of thread) was my old house I sold in 2006/7

I only have potted bits n pieces now :/ and living in a -5c Winter zone leaves for few succulents.

The single easter cactus is still closed

These are the only plants that get reall attention these days.

View attachment 294668

Unfortunately Patrick my garden (As pictured at start of thread) was my old house I sold in 2006/7

I only have potted bits n pieces now :/ and living in a -5c Winter zone leaves for few succulents.

View attachment 294668

you could add a water wheel plant ( Ultricularia australis ) its pretty cool !

View attachment 294668

That looks good! Almost motivating me to start up another shrimp tank.

View attachment 294668

Thats a shame it was incredible. I love the tank. Aquatics are definitely a change of pace. Addicting as hell though.

A small pile of fiery death. My first real harvest.

Looks delicious!
If you like your hot stuff, get your hands on a bottle of Scorpion Strike. I added 5 drops into a massive pot of pasta sauce. Even that is enough to bring sweat to my forehead... Should have seen the others who ate it! Hahaha.... Apparently I have a much higher tolerance to chilli than they do.

What a lovely read! Just read the whole post in the last hour and theres just something about people getting excited about gardening that makes me smile! Thank you everyone for some great tips/ideas and beautiful photos! Keep them coming!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back