The Gardeners Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is going to sound stupid, but is it possible to buy clover seeds? And also I want to grow black berries but can you still but the plants if they are classified as a weed?

Caliherp,
that is a beautiful selection you have there. I am in the process of giving away most my of succulents. They really need full sun to look their best and I just cannot provide it. Maybe somewhere down the track? I am dividing and potting up the neglected stuff so that it looks reasonable. Then I can unload it. I have a few other projects I want to have a go at. I also need to get rid of about half my bromeliads. They are many years old and fairly plain, but quite hardy so good ones to cut your teeth on.

Princess Parrot,

You certainly can buy clover. It is used as a pasture crop to improve nitrogen in the soil. There are also different varieties, including a couple of ornamental ones.

Blackberries are an invasive weed and should not be planted. If they are already in the local area then it will not make no difference. If not but you still want to grow them, the responsible thing to do is grow them in pots where you are absolutely certain no birds can access the fruit when it appears. This is how it is spread.

May I ask what use you wish to put these two plants to?

- - - Updated - - -

I made a great little discovery last week. I do not tend to use snail pellets as they are eaten by a range of small arthropods and crustaceans and these are very much part of the diet for frogs around the yard as well as burrowing skinks. So every now and then I go through my plants by hand and pick off and kill the snails and slugs. Whether you stomp on the, chop them with knife, squish them with a stick or make pate out of them with a brick – it is always a yucky job. If they are kept under water long enough they will drown but the water goes very putrid very quickly and lots of slime.

I thought to myself there just has to be a better way. My wife use vinegar with a few dashes of metho in water to mop the tiles. I new the metho would work but it evaporates if left open. Damn it, why don’t I try the vinegar? Not really expecting too much but hoping nevertheless, I gave it a whirl. 2 cm of vinegar in a throw away jar. Wow! The slugs died quickly without releasing any slime. Four days later, using the same, same vinegar with all the dead slugs, it was still effective - no nasty smells and no putrification. By the way, I use metal forceps to pick up the offending molluscs. I suspect I could drain the vinegar off and reuse it if I wanted to. So there you are... how to easily terminate the slime balls without the goo.

Blue

I know this is going to sound stupid, but is it possible to buy clover seeds? And also I want to grow black berries but can you still but the plants if they are classified as a weed?
as you live in the ACT just go for a drive and grab some blackberries from your nearest farm
and any large agricultural supply shop should have clover seeds .

With the clovers I just want some in my yard. Idk I just love berries....

Last edited:
The slugs died quickly without releasing any slime. Four days later, using the same, same vinegar with all the dead slugs, it was still effective - no nasty smells and no putrification. By the way, I use metal forceps to pick up the offending molluscs. I suspect I could drain the vinegar off and reuse it if I wanted to. So there you are... how to easily terminate the slime balls without the goo. Blue
Salt also works Blue, I get tiger slugs here that eat snail pellets for breakfast but salt knocks them off every time.
Also as a general note regarding handling: Be weary with any slugs or snails as I've read that some slugs possess substances known to cause irreparable blindness it transferred to your eyes.

Fourexes,
I have never heard about them causing possible eye damage. I just don't like the slime and no way do I want it on my clothes, let alone my skin, let alone my eyes. Nonetheless I take your warning at face value. Thanks. I had one pot last year that had over 50 slugs in it. I have used salt to desiccate them in the past but this is so much easier. You just pick it and move when you want to and all you have to do is let go of them once you have picked ‘em up.

princessparrot,

Sounds like you would be better off to just go fruit picking in season rather than worry about trying to grow your own blackberries. Google “Canberra Connect Blackberries” and the ACT government web page has link to what areas are sprayed and when. There are also lots of sites on “collecting blackberries” in Canberra and the ACT. You can grow raspberries and blueberries in pots. A mulberry tree is as easy as to grow. Plus you can then culture silkworms, which are really easy, if you want to. Strawberries grown from seed are not as big as the shop fruit, but oh so sweet.

Blue

princessparrot,

Sounds like you would be better off to just go fruit picking in season rather than worry about trying to grow your own blackberries. Google “Canberra Connect Blackberries” and the ACT government web page has link to what areas are sprayed and when. There are also lots of sites on “collecting blackberries” in Canberra and the ACT. You can grow raspberries and blueberries in pots. A mulberry tree is as easy as to grow. Plus you can then culture silkworms, which are really easy, if you want to. Strawberries grown from seed are not as big as the shop fruit, but oh so sweet.

Blue

yeah, I do have some strawberries and want to grow blueberries and raspberries as well. blackberries are just my favourite:p could eat them all day

Try googling Victoria with blackberries as I think they have some varieties without thorns.

I used to get stuck into them when I was a kid. I reckon they cost me several pints of blood and a lot of strife for coming home with torn clothes too many times. A wooden plank will get you to where the best ones are as no-one else can reach them. I also discovered they taste better chilled then hot off the vine. Have fun when they come into season...

Wow. A garden thread.
My first love are bromeliads.
I had a nice collection of over 200 varieties of broms.
Unfortunately when my marriage ended, he kept the house and I had no where to take so many plants, the shade houses and all my equipment. Lost them all.
No one could understand when I was in tears every time I talked about my plants. :(
Guess you'd have to be a collector to understand.
Im in a rental now so I can't go big scale again but Im still addicted to gardening.
My other love is Dend. Orchids.

Nice large bloom. Tell me you smashed your thumb and that's not black nail polish.

Ill break out the DSLR later to take some pictures and update you all on my collection.

Sweetie it's nail polish. ;) Now get snappin will ya

Sweetie it's nail polish. ;) Now get snappin will ya

By the time I got home it was pretty much dark, sorry Brett. I am a man of my word so I took a few crappy shots. The flash washed the colors out, but as you can see in the pictures (somewhat anyways) my plants received good amount of frost damage over the past month. By leaps and bounds this winter has been the worst I have had to deal with in regards to the freezing weather. Plants that I have had planted in the ground for over 5 years now turned into piles of mush.

The overnight lows we have been having are 25 F, Witch I think is -3.88 C? My potted plants got a run for there money as well. I was kind of prepared for this in the sense that I made sure the soil was dry in my pots well before the freeze to.

I was out of town the past couple days and I forgot to bring in my bromeliads. I was speeding all the way home. I thought I lost my entire brom collection, amazingly they survived. 30 F. Granted they didn't have much or any water inside them, and they are under my porch. Still that's surprising for Neoregelia's.

Here are some pictures I took a month and a half ago I think.

Wow. A garden thread.
My first love are bromeliads.
I had a nice collection of over 200 varieties of broms. ....
Holy Dooley! 200 brom varieties. Now that is what I call an obsession. The amount of time, research, effort and money that goes into a collection of that size would amaze most people if they understood it. With such an incredibly strong predilection for broms, I can appreciate just how heartbreaking it must have been to lose them. It is not just the loss of time, effort and money. It is the loss of the emotional joy gained from simply watching them and seeing them flourish under your care. Just to spend time with plants that you like is a rewarding experience that drives the thousands of dedicated gardeners around the traps. You have my sincere sympathy.
Sweetie it's nail polish. ...
Smithers, Yes you are a sweetie, but black does not become you. I think blue is more likely your colour.

Love the cactus flowers and can’t get over the size.

A beautiful collection of succulents there. You can protect them from frost by covering them with a layer of plastic or a couple layers of shade cloth on particularly cold nights.

I have acquired a digital point and shoot style camera and am currently wading through the instructions and options and am totally bloody confused by it all. Give me a good old film SLR and I know where I am at. I will endeavour to persevere and post a few pics once I have mastered the basics. No guarantees when that might be however. Lol.

Blue

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the plant with the holey leave is almost certainly Monstera adansonii. Very nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice collection Cali (Pat) thanks for posting and the write up. The red edged aloe is a looker. And those larger file pics you took over a month ago,...they are my fave succulent.

Cheers Blue for your contribution advice tips and id on me holy plant....might try n use a bit hangin in the fishtank n see how we go. :)

I've been slack on here sorry reduced animals a tonne and still doing it freeing up time to do art and photography,...Courses booked for next yr.

I'll try n get more pics happening but my collection isn't really a collection but a trace of one these days.....Next time I'm up at my friends place I take a stack of hers for ya's....a lot are from my original garden but she's powered them on and could have a stall at markets I think. :)

Happy n Safe New Yrs Peeps :) :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there's any rules against growing fly traps(any kind) in your garden or rules on other plants you can and can't grow in nsw(Bawley point)?

also what are some australian native plants with abit of purple colouring to them(flowers or foliage)

any fly trap tips will be appreciated

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there's any rules against growing fly traps(any kind) in your garden or rules on other plants you can and can't grow in nsw(Bawley point)?

also what are some native plants with abit of purple colouring to them(flowers or foliage)

Jacaranda will give a great display of purple.Also Iris or Lavender.

Please don't plant a jacaranda EVER imho they are a beautiful tree if you like tiny little leaves everywhere for three months and purple flowers all over the ground for two .

You cant climb them ( very brittle ) and they drop branches more often than most natives .
You can plant fly traps anywhere you want . Full sun and a little protected from the wind is best if you are putting them in the ground you need an area that will stay damp to wet all summer as they don't like to dry out but need to dry in the colder months .A good amount of Peat and sphagnum moss can be added to a Large hole before plating . Or you leave them in their pots place these pots in a larger pot with the peat and sphagnum then put that in the ground . Both of these work well but be mindful that if you buy pet ducks they will Ravage you carnivorous collection in one day :cry: and it will take a lot of work and years to revive them. Venus fly traps area bit fussy so try the Sarracenia's the hybrids will probably do better
Rodney

image.jpg
Can anyone identify this flower
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back