The great APS rat swap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondgal79

Reaction score
ok had an idea.
Everyone should introduce new lines to their rats to keep them healthy etc.
so why not do a swap with other ASPers?
we could swap or buy them (not on here as to interfere with swapping selling thingo) for colours/sexes we need.
what do you think.

I'm up for it. Though, i think people might be a little bit iffy about taking in new lines as they've worked so hard on getting their own healthy they won't want anything stuffing that up.. Like myco, biting, mites, lice etc. If everyone quarantines properly though it could be extremely helpful introducing new lines.

What relevence does colour have for a feeder animal??? Or am i missing something

Some people like specific colours, coat types etc. Why not have a little fun?

Sometimes is best to inbreed to eradicate all health probs.
How do you know you have problem free lines with out inbreeding to see the probs ?

Last edited:
ok well the only way it will work is to swap with folks close to you.
Unless your travelling somewhere and willing to transport.
Quarrantine is a MUST treat them like you would if they were reps.
i do inbreed and keep records of such but its alway wise to outcross and bring in new lines.
So lets set up a register and you can tell folks what you want and what you have to swap.
and where you are and if your travellin g somewhere where you can swap along the way.

Colours: buff,agouti,silver fawn,dove,black and white berkshire, black and white hooded,dove hooded,silver fawn hooded.

Looking for: mink,blaze,wedge,blues and any unsual patterns/colours.

Good idea.

Have: Unfortunately not much atm since the heat wiped 90% of my stock. But i have agouti berk, black variegated berk (Some with blazes, headspots and some rex), champagne, PEW and a litter that could be just about anything.

Looking For: Hooded any colour but black, self in any colour but black, headspots, blazes etc.

At the moment not looking to travel or freight. Got no car :( but do live close to the train station if anyone is relatively close.

Question though, what if someone has what we're looking for but doesn't know what it's called? Lots of people call mink grey and agouti brown etc.. Should i go find the Australian site that gives details and pics of all the different colours, types etc?

Lonewolf that would be great if oyu could post a link.
Also feel free to put up pics of what you have if your not of colur.
oooooooooooooooh rexes now thats what i talikng about i need some of those!
And blazes too. Lucky thing.

Ok i'll go find the link.

I forgot to add, i can breed BEWs as well as blazed and headspots if anyone knows about them. I recently bred my first BEW rex which i'm so proud of! :D

It is also missing my line of pale headed rats. They have an almost white skull cap which varies in intensity with age. The snakes reckon they all taste the same though!

and is does not have my new ones that i had pop out a few weeks ago i call them possums because they are a dead set same color as a brushtail possum. or the darker form which i call sewers because they look like a sewer rat

That website also states there are no hairless rats in Australia which to my knowledge is wrong, there is deffiantly hairless mice and I am pretty sure hairless rats getting around. Am I right?

I might add that the colours vary a lot much like reptiles.. Different state, different colour. I had a brown mink once others have almost blue minks.

I'm guessing your rats would be champagne capped herptrader lol

To the general public there is no hairless. People have bred them but don't let them go. Plus, they appear to have really short lifespans. The alternative is the double rex which a breeder in Nowra is producing. They are completely nude for most of their life but grow patches of fur every now and then.

Yep there are hairless mice in Aus. So ugly.. But cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back