The great APS rat swap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristy: Thanks :) It's pretty cool what you can do with rats and selective breeding! You can do the same with snakes, but the rats are just so much easier and faster to work with.

The chocolates are only new in Australia. As far as I know the first breeder of them only let the first ones out about six weeks ago, I have one male on breeding loan and my first hets should be born any day now. To be honest they're really not all that exciting, and I'm not even 100% convinced they are a legitimate morph, but I'll be able to see the results (or lack of results) in about 14 weeks. I'm not all that much further ahead with the blues, but Saz puts up lots of lovely blue pictures anyway, and my rat photography isn't likely to come close to hers, so just enjoy them! :lol: Well, a short way down the track when I have a few to photograph I'll put up pictures.

We're doing some pretty cool things with mouse colours and patterns too.

Mice are cute, and there's definitely a lot of cool things, but I just can't go past the rats, I'm afraid :)

I've already been in touch with Saz about some of hers, including the blues - they are gorgeous, aren't they?

I'm sure my snakes would enjoy chocolate rats, though ;)

Looking forward to your results as always - you're right, selective breeding in snakes is producing some amazing things atm IMO, but rats are so much faster, and have cute little faces to boot. And with the numbers you're producing, I always look forward to seeing your new projects!

Do you mind if I ask - for the dallie line, did you take variegateds and just breed out less and less solid colour... or do I remember that you took some ear-patched ones and down-unders together, or something?

Mice are cute, and there's definitely a lot of cool things, but I just can't go past the rats, I'm afraid :)

Yeah, I know what you mean :) The mice just don't have the character or size of a rat, but they do have a fantastic diversity of colour and pattern, and it's handy having the itsy bitsy pinkies for baby Adders ;)

Do you mind if I ask - for the dallie line, did you take variegateds and just breed out less and less solid colour... or do I remember that you took some ear-patched ones and down-unders together, or something?

Neither. I haven't made them using a special combination of Mendelian traits, I've just selected for the best spotty ones. I've actually never worked with downunder or variegated at all. Either one might improve the Dalmatians, but I haven't tried. I have considered it, and might have a go some time next year, but it's a lot of effort getting new rats through quarantine and then continually outcrossing them to get them healthy.

g0t rAts?
I live in Newtown SYdney if ya wanna do some swapping pm meeeeeeeee!
rat rat ratties!

Neither. I haven't made them using a special combination of Mendelian traits, I've just selected for the best spotty ones. I've actually never worked with downunder or variegated at all. Either one might improve the Dalmatians, but I haven't tried. I have considered it, and might have a go some time next year, but it's a lot of effort getting new rats through quarantine and then continually outcrossing them to get them healthy.

And here I was thinking you had a FANTASTIC understanding of ratty genetics, but you've just bred them the same as I do - "If I breed this pretty girl with that handsome boy, the offspring will be ADORABLE!" :p

Kidding. Either way, they're some great looking snake food ;)

I'm still in the process of gathering the rodents I need to be founders of our line. Currently I'm really pleased with the quality of our rexes and blue appearance mink coats. We're on track but we need more ingredients for our ICED trademark pets.

I'm seeking a really nice wedge blazed rattie.
Preferably male bonus points if he's black or mink based.

I'll have bubs to swap with in about 12 weeks. I haven't got a clue what I'll get apart from mink and dove in rex coat.

I'm experimenting with manx although I have no idea how sucessful it will be because my manx dude is a bit obese and not showing much interest in his sexy mink berkshire companion. Fingers crossed anyway.

Just putting my feelers out for any recent pairings that might result in the rat I need.

I'm also keen of verigated only because my OH has an obsession with marked rats. We went out and bought a pet black hooded the other day. So I thought I'd better start catering for his tastes too since we share husbandry ;).

Ive got everything ready to get two female rats and Id really like to get something unusual from the start. I bred rats years ago but just your average hooded's. Anyone breed anything fancy on the gold coast who can point me in the right direction for two baby girls. (The younger the better as they will be pets as well as breeders.) Ive been searching pet shops but it seems theres nothing fancy on the coast anywhere! where do people get things like Rex's from on the coast?

Have been working on pink/ruby eye combinations, here's some of my results so far. The fuzzy PEW is actually the lightest colored one in the group photo, the champagne(?) hooded.

Attachments

• hsf.jpg
    hsf.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 44
  • MPEMale.jpg
    MPEMale.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 39
  • chpe.jpg
    chpe.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 49
  • SFMale.jpg
    SFMale.jpg