The Great Oenpelli Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricked

Reaction score
I am beckoming absolutly obssesed with this beautiful and big snake. since you can get two of the three giant aussie snakes (olive scrub and oenpelli), are you allowed to get an oenpelli?

No you cannot get a Oenpelli Python on Licence from anyone, there is only one Zoo in the whole of Australia that has and Oenpelli Python, and that is the Territory Wildlife Park located in Berry Springs Northern Territory not far from Darwin.

nope not until the authorities get their act together and allow some to be caught from arnham land, which i doubt as its sacred land and nothing is allowed to be taken from there. Shame the only person who successfully bred these in captivity had them taken from him!!!!!

re The

One would think that a breeding programme would of been set up for this species by the government,they wouldnt need lots of animals,ide gather that John Weigal and the australian reptile park as well as other parks and individuals have tried to no avail,they didnt give Peter Krauss much assistance with his breeding efforts years back,shame that.

well said zulu,pretty much my thinking to,but there was a time when i never thought rough scales would be kept in captivity,yet miracles do happen,hopefully common sense prevails and one day they become available

nope not until the authorities get their act together and allow some to be caught from arnham land, which i doubt as its sacred land and nothing is allowed to be taken from there. Shame the only person who successfully bred these in captivity had them taken from him!!!!!

The local aboriginals gave permission for some to be taken and the NT government gave permits. The people with the permits didn't get around to it. Quite some years later now, I assume the permits have expired. Oops!

If someone wants to jump the hoops it will happen. Sooner or later someone will jump those hoops. It's surprising no one has done it yet.

The area isn't that remote, the local aboriginals aren't backwards enough to be bluntly and absolutely against people taking them (due to PC etc, I'll refrain from suggesting some very effective methods which work very well and leave both sides very happy) and they aren't that difficult to find. A friend of mine's parents went for a tourist-style holiday and photographed what they thought was a Carpet Python, showed it to us and we were blown away to see an Oenpelli Python. I've known a few people who have found them (mostly herpers but at least two completely uninterested non herps). Many people probably see them and just assume they're Carpets.

I would love to be given the permits lol it wont happen for me. I hope some one is willing to take on the challenge and fight to get these breeding in captivity. As the longer we leave it the closer the cane toad gets. I think i remember your methods sdaji from last time there was a thread like this. I believe those ways to be very effective, in fact i used them today it works a treat. I just hope we dont leave this until its too late

They are kept by a number of keepers, yet quietly due to the fact it is illegal to do so. Keeping them legitimately is some time off. What is annoying is the hype to prevent them from being kept and bred by legitimate keepers (why, again?) by those in power, yet they are often openly killed by a few ignorant Territorians whom live in fear of them at Oenpelli. Better off dead than protected in captivity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back