The Great Substrate Debate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol Hawkeye :lol:

The snake carpet I bought is just like the carpet in your house, except a bit more grippier for the snake. I think it is similar to this marine carpet stuff Afro mentioned.
It is machine washable so I just bought 2 and alternate them.

My reptarium substrate is half snake carpet and half astroturf so she has a bit of choice.

I can't remember the price exactly but it was under $20 for 2 large pieces.
I think the brand was Exoterra or Repti-something?? :?

I am currently keeping my Maculosa on paper towel but very soon he will be moved onto Paper pellets.
As for cage decoration I really have none because he is still in his small plastic critter cage, when he moves into his bigger encloser I would like to set it up so it can be a focus for the room
In wooden enclosures can you glue aquarium backing on the inside? I dont see why it cant be done but I've seen it done.

At the pet shops I have seen them use a thin layer of soil that has live grass. They say it is great for keeping up humidity and heat retention.
Moses

Whaa: Reptile barn has lots of backgrounds on rolls for exactly what you are talking about. It looks nice but the snake can't tell the difference and I work onj the principle of its only added if it makes a difference to the snake

Africa: If its good for my cats poo then its good enough for my snake (I just alternate by tipping the cats litter box into the snake enclosure and vice-versa......been using the same 3 kg pack for 12 months now) :lol: :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

:)

Heh! Way to recycle, Hawkeye! :wink:

I'm thinking of trying the same method, but I'll have to buy a cat first. :cry:

Not a problem there Lusty! Once the kitten has used the litter tray enoug to get your recycling efforts underway you just feed it to ya snake :) That is true recycling buddy :)

I started out using indoor/outdoor carpet which most people use around swimming pools etc (astroturf reptile carpet marine carpet all similar) very appealing to the eye and easy to clean.Now I use BC I will give my reason why I changed.
Have you ever cleaned your enclosure put in new paper or carpet and had your snake dirty it within the first 2 minutes? The reason is they are trying to mark thier territory sort of like why dogs pee on a tree etc.
With BC you are only changing the spoilt spots and the rest of the substrate remains in the enclosure still holding your little ones scent.
I just use a kitchen ladle (big spoon thingy lol and not one that we use in the kitchen anymore) and dig out the dirty spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back