The Importance of Quarantine - New Outbreak of 'Sunshine Virus'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the original Castle Hill Expos, run by Anthony Stimson, exhibitors had to pay a surcharge to purchase their brand new exhibit enclosures, so they were their property to take home after the first use that day - no placing other animals from unknown sources at any time later. It's really the only way to go, but the prospect of aerosol infection is still there.

Jamie

I dont think a lot of new comers quite "get" how important quarantine is, in all honesty I didn't until i received a mite infested snake. Luckily I had measures in place and the problem was contained to only that one snake. My point is, that experience gave me a wake up and even though I didnt think I was too bad, now I have improved and I can not stress loudly enough to all the other new comers how important it is to quarantine any new reptiles and to keep hygiene first and foremost on your mind when going betwixt old reptiles and your new reptiles. I dont even allow curious onlookers to touch/handle my snakes(I dont know what they've handled) I truly hope this outbreak doesnt spread like wild fire :(

Hygiene for collections and set protocols for new animals should be every keepers 1st priority.

Out of curiousity where does the name "Sunshine" originate for this new virus? Is it because it was 1st diagnosed in the sunshine state. I guess the answers will be in the next S&T issue, should be a must read for every keeper.

I visited Shane this morning as he looks after my collection and any issues that might arise in it from time to time. From what can be ascertained so far this disease is an Australian disease. It presents itself in the form of an RI with animals deteriorating from there, up to the point of their demise from secondary issues. The viral incubation period seems to be 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:
I visited Shane this morning as he looks after my collection and any issues that might arise in it from time to time. From what can be ascertained so far this disease is an Australian disease. It presents itself in the form of an RI with animals deteriorating from there, up to the point of their demise from secondary issues. The viral incubation period seems to be 6-8 weeks.

I seem to recall that in my last communication with Tim H. he certainly didn't rule out the possibility of the viral disorder we see here in Oz being of local origin, since none of the samples he worked with at Murdoch came up as OPMV. So it may be that this disease has been with us all the time and just manifests itself occasionally... but what's the trigger???

Jamie

Are there any signs of this virus in wild populations?

Could the virus be transferred through mites, mosquitoes or common flies

or perhaps it's through the food items being offered,ie, rodents or birds.

Flies and mosquitoes hang around all of the above.

Or maybe the water source ? Not many keepers offer pure bottled spring water.

Could it be the way we keep our animals - mostly in one heated room all breathing the same air ?

A solution to the problem would be wonderful because as it stands we will all be afraid of enjoying our animals as we used to.

No visiting expos, no buying new animals, not visiting friends with snakes and the list goes on.

Are there any signs of this virus in wild populations?

With most diseases the answer is no as you dont find what you dont look for. Once a wild animal dies it soon joins the circle of life so there is nothing left to test.
and then there is always a cost associated with testing!

Regarding Expos/Festivals....... quarantine issues have always been uppermost in our mind for our Festival which is why no exhibitors are permitted to take their animals out of the enclosures. Animals are on display, but locked firmly away from any 'hands on' contact with the general public. Common sense would tell people to shower when they go home before going anywhere near any other reptiles, the same as you would if you visited a zoo or another reptile keeper's home.
The only animals out of enclosures at our festival are those being handled by a licensed demonstrator.
This year I think we might put in place a 'quarantine' table or such with handouts on suggested quarantine proceedures ...... just a thought for further education. We'll probably have this at the end of the Scales & Tails table..... hmmmmm just thinking this through, we'll make sure we have it in place for the Gold Coast Expo and Reptecon as well.

Wokka has summed it up well, there's no need for mass panic or hysterial. Remember when the three letters, I B D was on everyones lips? Every captive and wild snake was going to be wiped out within a few years if believed everything you read. OPMV was the next one, again everyone pointing the finger at smuggled animals and even one zoological facility for unleashing it on the reptile keeping community here in Australia. Again I've hardly heard it mentioned the last few years. These things all follow the same course, some new and nasty virus is identified, a paper is published in some veterinary magazine and all of a sudden every vet that doesn't know the first thing about reptiles is diagnosing the slightest off sounding hiss as IBD, OPMV etc.
Yes there's some nasties out there but how, and how easily they are transmitted is very much misunderstood. Lets face it, I'm guessing at less than 1% of keepers would practice any worthwhile form of quarrantine, so if these viruses were as rampant as some believe then reptile keeping all over the world would of been doomed long ago.

I think all reptile expo's need to have a good think about where they stand on issues like this as well and what precautions they need to take if they indeed still want to run them.

It's reason I stopped being involved in the Gladstone expo - I held a stall one year, never again have I been back with my reptiles or even to have a look. Snakes were being taken out of their enclosures and walked around the complex, fresh shed skins were on display and ended up everywhere including on my table - not to mention all the grabby hands (kids and adults alike) who were previously handling other people's snakes, not washing their hands, then touching anything and everything!

Don't get me wrong I think it's a good thing they are trying to do, but that just put me completely off as there was no regard for quarantine matters AT ALL.

I agree that this is a very valid piont. Perhaps organisers of the expos may have to rethink handling rules at least in the display areas & perhaps have a seperate designated area where people can get snakes out to be handled. I know that at the Gladstone Expo people where warned & told of the potential for spreading disease & warned to take precaution & be it at thier own risk. But yes this will have to be looked at closely in the future or do not display, which all of this would be a shame as they are a great education for the public & other reptile keepers.

Cheers
Ian

How much work is being done on this potentially new virus? If it is a new virus, it would be fascinating to track its origins and development.

I'll be picking up a copy of S&T in July.

Great work, Joy and S&T team, and looking forward to the article. I think it will be easy for everyone to go into panic mode with this new information, but I think it will all be about education and understanding these viruses, so thank you Joy and Dr Shane Simpson for providing everyone with this information.
Quarantine is something that is so important with any animal, not just reptiles. Most people, especially new keepers will not understand why we need to quarantine, and I believe that it is a responsibility of the breeder or seller to help educate people. It is by no means a hard thing to work into a routine. House new animals in a different room. Take a shower before you deal with the reptiles. Clean and feed established animals, and do the newcomers last. Disinfect everything!
I understand a big problem is dirty breeders and pet shops. The high turnover is a bit of a worry to the industry, but again education is key. We have had quarantine facilities set up with our puppies and kittens for several years now, and with the reptile room renovation that we have had over the last 12 months has seen the introduction of quarantine procedures. What you see on show in our room is about a third of what is actually there. We have three rooms set up for this purpose. One room houses our newcomers, whether they be hatchlings or adults and they stay there for a minimum of 6 weeks up to several months. They are cleaned and fed last. The other room houses our adult breeding animals. This room holds already quarantined and established animals. Then there is the display room which is open to the public. This room houses animals that have been quarantined, healthy and feeding well. In my personal opinion these practices should be in place in every pet shop in Australia. Again, it is education. We are trying to raise the standard of animals in pet shops and we can already see improvements happening in several other large pet stores in Brisbane.
Which ever side of the industry you and I are on: Education. Lets help each other!

Whilst I basically agree with what Wokka and Splitmore have said, I am curious about the way these diseases present themselves in such a spasmodic way. There is no doubt that they do manifest themselves for a period of time and then seem to disappear for lengthy periods. I wonder if it's a bit like the flu epidemics we see in humans where small mutations in the virus re energise it a year or two later and it returns as a new threat to a population which has gained immunity to the earlier form.

We should also be mindful that this is very new research which basically ditches the previously held notion that OPMV is what we were seeing here in the past 15 years - evidently it it never has been OPMV.

Jamie

We should also be mindful that this is very new research which basically ditches the previously held notion that OPMV is what we were seeing here in the past 15 years - evidently it it never has been OPMV.

So as far as can be told, OPMV has never existed in Australia and it's been this Sunshine virus all the time? How interesting. Anyway, it sounds like the Sunshine virus can be tested for, which is excellent news.

Hey guys can someone tell me what this virus is I'm
Not having much luck finding it on the Internet and I dont have Facebook what are the symptoms of sunshine virus? Thanks Glenn

I am sure this will not be the last virus to turn up. Australia has millions of reptiles spread across diverse environments. Once animals are housed more intensively which allows for closer observations "new" diseases will be found. In the wild the extremes within a variable environment often keep diseases at bay but in a controlled intensive environment, conditions are sometimes ideal for diseases to replicate. In saying diseases I am using the term coloquially to include parasites, viruses, bacteria etc.

I am certain that the next edition of S&T will be well sought after, if for nothing else but to find out about the findings & research of this potential new? disease.
Well done again Joy.

Cheers
Ian

It is drumming up a lot of interest and no doubt a lot of people will by the magazine. I just hope that the article will deal with THIS particular virus in depth and not just a hypothetical mention in one paragraph wrapped up in general quarantine and safe husbandry practices advice.

It is drumming up a lot of interest and no doubt a lot of people will by the magazine. I just hope that the article will deal with THIS particular virus in depth and not just a hypothetical mention in one paragraph wrapped up in general quarantine and safe husbandry practices advice.

Michael it's going to be about this particular virus definitely...... Like everyone else I can't wait for Shane to send it to me for editing.
Cheers
Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back