The origin of the universe

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surroundx

Reaction score
I'm very interested to hear people's views and opinions, hypotheses ('theory' in the general sense) and theories (in the scientific sense) as to the cause of the origin of the universe, if it indeed did have one (perhaps the universe is eternal in the past). Do people think that we will never know the cause? Or cannot know the cause? Or that the eternality of it renders the question of its origin as invalid?

Gee whizz...you sure said a mouthful !! :shock: :) Well, I'm not the slightest bit scientific, however, I'll still have a go at saying what I think...:) I've heard that there may in fact be many different universes out there somewhere.....will we ever know how those or our universe came into existance, has our universe always existed, will it always exist....I don't think we'll know the answer in my life time. But from a purely scientific point of view, I guess anything is possible in the future. And as you are asking for an opinion from a scientific point of view, it is not for me to say what those of religious pursuasion might think about the topic. I sometimes look at the night sky and think.....what is out there ??? My simple little mind cannot begin to comprehend, and I'm not sure I want to know. :)

Annie pretty much said exactly what I would have. I don't have many religious beliefs as I boycotted anything to do with religion after it was quite horrifically forced upon me as a child. There are so many theories and possibilities that it's mind-boggling. I'd love to know the true answer as would many I'm sure. Scientifically I tend to believe the facts and what I can see or understand - which sadly isn't much when it comes to this topic. If there has been life on some of the planets within close proximity which have since been destroyed I wonder if that was us or someone/ something else's doing. I mean it may not be accurate, what scientists are telling us, but they seem pretty convinced and what worries me is that we may be destroying another one. Anyway I'm tired and dribbling, can't wait to read some more responses!

Well on the seventh day G......

Lol jokes big bang all the way :)

Too easy,the answer to all those questions is 42.

13 billion years ago something happened. I think there was some hiccup in the Medusa Cascade.

I think it is beyond our capabilities to know this answer yet. I like the idea of the big bang but I still have my doubts. I don't think our brains can comprehend the vastness of the universe and give a true explanation of its origin.

well, a certain wildlife demonstrator bent over to pick something up. the sun began shining and it all happened from there.

The Big Bang Theory is the best we've got, but it still needs refinement. What happened in that ridiculously small instant after the expansion began is still unclear.

I'm from a halfheartedly religious family and went to a religious private school, but despite having read the bible (I don't think that book deserves a capital letter) before I turned 10, spending a few hours a week at church and learning more religion than science at school I never really believed any of it. Anyway, I have a very complicated opinion about religion but I'll stick to the question =)
I'm a fan of The Big Bang Theory (especially Penny) and I think it's well-supported by a myriad of evidence. Cosmic Background Radiation is energy that was a direct result of the bang and is still observable today. The universe is currently expanding, which we can tell by our understanding of the electromagnetic spectrum (red light has a higher wavelength, galaxies moving away, I wouldn't explain it well). The energy of the big bang was so great as to separate matter into only the smallest five elements (Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium, Boron) which coalesced to form stars and (through fusion?) formed the heavier elements. Gatherings of these collided and slowly formed planets etc. My understanding is pretty simple but to me it's a much more elegant explanation than 'In the beginning (6000 years ago) there was nothing so God (oh yeah, sorry, I'm not explaining that right) there was nothing but there was this dude and his name was God and then there was light because he said so and then he made Earth and everything on it but not the dinosaurs because we didn't know about them yet but then we found them so he did make them but he put them all underground and they all died and he made two people and a talking snake told them to eat an apple and got kicked them out and then they had lots of naughty time and then when there were lots of people and animals God killed them all except a few of each and they all started again without any problem of inbreeding depression because genetics isn't real but then science proved it indisputably so it is real but God created it too but evolution still isn't real.'
That was fun =D

I would like to make a small request to all of you..... I believe we are supposed to be looking at this topic from a scientific point of view, which is fine. However I have noticed that several posters are also bringing in quite a bit of scarcasim about God...whom they believe to be a fictional character. That's fine, people can believe or disbelieve in God, however, I don't think the non believers should put down the idea of God, because there are posters who believe in God and their belief and opinion is as important to them as any other opinion. Let us have respect for each other in regards to these things. State what you think about the origins of the universe, but don't make fun of, or put down others who may be reading the threads and have a different view from you, it's totally unnecessary.

Good point grannieannie, what I said wasn't suitable here.

I shouldn't put down the idea of God, I do respect that part of the belief. My only beef is when creationists challenge science.

Last edited:
I'm going with a quantum explanation: Quantum Cosmology

And, the reason people would be putting down the idea of God (the first cause, kalam cosmological argument, whatever you wish to refer to it as)
is because it's a non-explanation in the face of hardcore scientists (physicists, quantum physicists, biologists, etc) who actually try to make
sense of this stuff and dedicate their lives and careers to research.

The basic idea, whether you look at it theologically or scientifically, is that a chain of causality has to end somewhere in order to avoid an infinite regress.
People have a hard time wrapping their heads around this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back