Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

g33kb0y

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Matt, I'm new to snakes, but definately hooked!

I'd like to use this forum, but I need to get thease annoying questions out of the way first... and I have tried the search thingy, but there's so much stuff!

1/ How do I go about getting a Class 1 License in Victoria ? I tried the gov websites, but bugger me if I can find anythign useful!

2/ What's the smallest of the pythons (captive breed) that are regularly traded ? I see there's a Dwarf childrens, but can't really find anyone selling them.

3/ I'd really prefer a Coluprid, probably a brown tree snake... but I'm not real sure how good they are for newbies, how big they get (I know the GTS is about 1.5 - 2m)... I've searched, and there are some ace pics, just not a lot of info to help me decide.

I am going to take my time about choosing, and getting the setup sorted... but this info would greatly help me focus my info gathering.

thanks,

Matt

Calling them is the easiest way.

Children's Pythons are the smallest regularly traded species. We're not allowed to keep 'Dwarf Children's" in Victoria and they'd cost too much even if we could ;)

Brown tree snakes aren't the best choice for beginners. They can be prone to sloughing problems and are quite fussy about himidity. It's not uncommon for them to be a bit snappy (although many are very placid) and most would suggest against it because they're venomous, even if mildly. A large Brown Tree Snake is about 6', they occassionally get bigger.

Good luck :)

Oops,

that number should read "94124992"

sorry for the typo :oops:

Spotted, Stimsons or childrens is the way to go IMO

thanks for that, will chase up that license :)

Are any of the Tree Snakes ok, or is a python the best best ?

I'd go with a python for starters :)

pythons the best way togo, if your after something small, as said go with a childreni, stimsoni or a spotted. if you want something a bit bigger id go with a bredli or a murry darling, imo any of those 5 snakes are great for a first time keeper.

I'd definately suggest a python over a tree snake for a first timer. Colubrids will still be there in a year or two if you still want them :)

Just to add on too what sdaji said, another reason to go with the python is tree snakes are more of a sit and watch type animal. Being new you iwll most likely want to handle your animal, and its not recommended to handle tree snakes as they are very well known for being flighty.

Welcome aboard Matt ....as others have said , go with the python , get yourself a nice "childrens " or "maccie"
I know some one who has had some GTS and they where a fair bit of hassle to keep regarding feeding , etc .
And they are very very quick , not a good handling snake from what i have seen ,although they are a very nice sanke .

Strange choice the Brown tree snake... they do grow on trees up here in Katherine and they are quite snappy, I tried to rescue one off the Stuart Highway a month ago and it was at least 5 foot and chubby. I have a well fed childrens python (although she is currently on a hunger strike) and she is only 1m long and lives happily in a 2ft by 1ft tank. They are the most placid python you will ever find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back