thermostat controller prototype

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saikrett

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been playing with this idea for a while and though i'd seek some fresh input before i start building my prototype.

Basically it will be an all in one USB controlled thermostat, which will have the ability to:

- switch off heat source at designated temp
- set different temp times (eg 10 hours max 32 degrees, 14 hours 28 degrees ect) to automate cooling cycles etc
- Adjustable light timer,
- Ability to control lights in respect to natural lighting (inside light hours matching outdoor)
- Graph enclosure temps

this unit would be able to thermostatically control and graph 15 individual enclosures and control an additional 15 power sockets (eg fluro light timer)

unfortunately I havent had time to sort out a dimmer for the heat yet.

Just wondering if there was anything else which would improve this unit or things that you would do differently.

Any input would be great
thanks

Just wondering how the USB side of it would work? What do you hope to gain from it being USB controlled? Bit confused by that but otherwise it sounds great. I'd buy it if I had 15 individual enclosures to control but I think (and hope for the wallet's sake) that it'll be a few years away before I have that many lol. I say that as a collector of reptiles as pets and not for breeding. Would probably be fantastic for breeders or folks with a lot of reptiles.

The usb interface would be used to set and monitor the inputs (thermometers). Idealy i would pair it with a touchscreen tablet (ipad) to display temps etc, which would also leave the optino to integrate feeding logs etc...

The main adavantage would be multiple controls with the one device.

That sounds really good then. I'm a die-hard Android lover but I'd buy an iPad down the track if that's what would control it. And no, I'm not asking for a debate on whether Apple or Android is better because those arguments can go on forever hehe :lol: The feeding logs would be handy to have as well. I have 2 snakes at present and I find marking feeding dates onto a paper calendar to be rather boring. Definitely a good idea imo.

That was my thoughts too Jande, i would be much more likely to keep logs if its a touchscreen right next to the enclosure. If i can get support for the usb boards i'd prefer to use linux instead of windows...

Yeah that might be good. I like to refer to Windows as Winblows some days. I know you can get a stripped back version of Windows without all the unnecessary crud that weighs it down but I also think it might be illegal. Anyway Linux has been pretty sturdy from what I've heard over the years.

Last edited:
Sounds like a massive project are you a electrical engineer ? Would be so complicated building the board then the programming. I was looking for kits in jaycar but could find anything.

I think I've got the USB controller and preliminary software sorted. Next issue is sorting out some sort of box to house it in and sourcing all the 240 connectors,

I'm building a thermostat for my electrical engineering thesis but it's going to be quite different to this. I don't think you should give up on the dimming idea. Nobody wants on/off these days especially when you are running incandescents. Have a look into either static relays or triacs. You sound pretty switched on (no pun intended :p) so it isn't much extra to use them. It's just a couple of components and a PWM wave out of your controller.
Good luck with it. It will be interesting to see a computer based controller.

Someone on here built a version of this i think.. ?? If anyone can find the link but it was never finished i dont think or never updated when it was. I for one would definetly buy one if they were at a good price. Good luck and please keep us posted. :) i also feel that using a laptop would be better as there is so much more depth jmo but good luck.

Aaron (snake_whisperer) had a thread up couple of years ago with a computer controlled climate system.

Great idea, but personally i see running a tablet or laptop to control temperature as just another thing to go wrong. Plug and play thermo's are just easy for us non tech savy people. Plus my thermostats have lasted much longer than any of my computers.

Would look pretty fancy though. having it all running off a computer, almost make it look like keeping snakes was hard :lol:. Possibly be great for large collections/commercial scale breeders where data logging etc could come in handy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back