Thermostat + Globe ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gully are fine for advice and reptiles, if a little pricey. I was thinking of somewhere else that shall not be named.
If you get one of their hatchlings, you would be better off using a click clack with the heat mat. Hatchlings are less stressed in smaller environments. Then when it has grown a little, it can go into your bigger enclosure you mention. The tank in your photos is woo hard to get a good heat gradient; it will get hot, with no cool spot.
If the heat mat gets too hot as you say, you can use it with a normal timer, set for maybe 15 minutes on, and 15 minutes off, but you can experiment with times. Have the heat mat a third of the click clack to provide a cooler end. Some paper towel as an easy to clean substrate and you are a ready to go.

Phew, okay thanks [MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION]! Glad to know I'll be dealing with somewhat reliable breeders.
Would I be better off buying a click clack from there or having a go at a DIY one? Can I get away with just the heat mat as well, or would I need some sort of lighting or radiant heat in the tub?

One heat globe (as it is pictured). Move the log perch more underneath the globe and get rid of the heat mat. When your snake is cold it will bask under the globe until the required body temperature is achieved, then will go and hide or explore the rest of the enclosure. Depending on the size of the python, the tank may or may not be suitable for cubic size. You dont want to turn the enclosure into an oven. You want to provide an environment of heat (ie sun) and cool (shade) as it is in the wild. And make sure all those doors are secured!

However if it is a baby as you said, the plastic tub click clack is what youre after in the set up mentioned by pinefamily. About the size of a shoe box would be a good start. Target or Big W or any $2 shop sell them. And gently drill some small holes in a couple of the sides for air. But dont make it like swiss cheese cause you'll lose your gradient!

Last edited:
We buy the Sistema brand tubs with the click up tubs (hence click clack from the noise they make). You have to be careful drilling in plastic, it can easily split. We use a soldering iron to put a few holes at each end of the lid, a few more at the cooler end. If your heat mat is a higher wattage, you can also put a thin piece of styrofoam between it and the tub. A small container for water at the cool end, and a hide for the snake. A small rock is a good idea too, as it helps the snake to shed.

It's fun making your own click clack, like Pinefamily said, a soldering iron puts in some nice holes, make sure you put in a hole down low for your thermostat probe and temp probe. I had my heat mat between two tiles (pieces of slate from memory) and used a couple of lego bricks between the two tiles so the heat mat got some airflow.
Just put one third of the tub on the heat mat/tile, set your thermostat so you're getting around 32 in the hot end (floor temp) and some hides in the cool and hot end (I used toilet roll holders, pill boxes, etc and paper towel for substrate)....here's a good guide to the basics of click clacks and looking after hatchies. :D

And the one after that is our own thread on building a click clack

https://wapythoncare.wordpress.com/2014/12/17/294/

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the link to building a click clack https://aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php/93266-Guide-to-build-a-click-clack-(dial-up-warning)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back