Thermostat help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekw

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been given a jungle python and enclosure by my sister inlaw and have everything all set up the way she has had it for a few years. Im running a heat matt and ceramic lamp with a 75w buld. My issue is the way its set up. Ive been told to plug the thermostat into the wall socket , plug the lamp and heat matt into the temp plug on the thermostat via a power board. There is only one heat probe with the thermostat so that means the heat matt is just on or off all the time.

Should i get a thermostat with 2 probes so both can be monitored?? I cant seem to find anything that has 2 probes with it that can control both from the one thermostat. Am i overthinking everything or is this set up wrong? Alarms keep sounding through the night as the temp drops because its a on/off system and in my cold town i think a pulse set up would be better with a ceramic lamp and heat matt???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derek.

you only need 1 heat source :)

2 and you will probably cook your animal

you will be VERY lucky to find a thermostat with 2 probes

What i would recommend is turning one of the heaters off all the time and see what temps the hot spot gets to, by using just one

Do you have a pic of the setup?

So probably dont need the heat mat then? I will take a picture when i get home.

So probably dont need the heat mat then? I will take a picture when i get home.

Take what blaze says with a pinch of salt. He has a habit of answering questions despite not knowing what he's talking about.

If you want to use two heat sources with different thermostats, get a second thermostat. There's nothing wrong with using two heat sources, and for many species in many circumstances it's best, particularly those needing basking lamps during the day and something to keep them warm at night. For many species I've had setups like a heat cord (or mat) set to keep the warm end from falling below around 15-25 degrees (depending on species, time of year, etc) and a basking lamp set to come on for several hours only during the day. During the day the temperature may be warm enough that the heat mat thermostat doesn't come on at all, only at night to prevent a chill. Having said that, Carpet Pythons do fine with floor heat only (and for a Jungle that's all I'd generally use, although in a cold room you may want something else as well... cold rooms aren't ideal for Jungles to be kept in, and while a ceramic is not the best option, it may be better to use it along with your heat mat than just the heat mat alone).

For most things dimming thermostats are best. For heat mats or cords, pulse proportional thermostats work exactly the same (but for things which can blow, like lights, pulse proportional thermostats are not appropriate). These days basic on/off thermostats are more or less obsolete. They have a few specific applications, but I doubt I'll ever use one again. If you are going to use a ceramic (which I totally wouldn't), definitely get a dimming thermostat for it. The heat mat will be okay on an on/off thermostat, but if possible upgrade to a pulse proportional or dimming unit.

I'd never ever use a ceramic, there's literally no advantage they have over alternatives, and there are many drawbacks.

Take what blaze says with a pinch of salt. He has a habit of answering questions despite not knowing what he's talking about.

If you want to use two heat sources with different thermostats, get a second thermostat. There's nothing wrong with using two heat sources, and for many species in many circumstances it's best, particularly those needing basking lamps during the day and something to keep them warm at night. For many species I've had setups like a heat cord (or mat) set to keep the warm end from falling below around 15-25 degrees (depending on species, time of year, etc) and a basking lamp set to come on for several hours only during the day. During the day the temperature may be warm enough that the heat mat thermostat doesn't come on at all, only at night to prevent a chill. Having said that, Carpet Pythons do fine with floor heat only (and for a Jungle that's all I'd generally use, although in a cold room you may want something else as well... cold rooms aren't ideal for Jungles to be kept in, and while a ceramic is not the best option, it may be better to use it along with your heat mat than just the heat mat alone).

For most things dimming thermostats are best. For heat mats or cords, pulse proportional thermostats work exactly the same (but for things which can blow, like lights, pulse proportional thermostats are not appropriate). These days basic on/off thermostats are more or less obsolete. They have a few specific applications, but I doubt I'll ever use one again. If you are going to use a ceramic (which I totally wouldn't), definitely get a dimming thermostat for it. The heat mat will be okay on an on/off thermostat, but if possible upgrade to a pulse proportional or dimming unit.

I'd never ever use a ceramic, there's literally no advantage they have over alternatives, and there are many drawbacks.
Thank you for the detailed response. This particular set up would not have been my first choice at all and i will likely change it up abit. I just was given everything in one go.
I will add some pictures and listen to more experienced suggestions if you would care to point out obvious failures please.
I have been looking at the microclimate EVO light as a good thermostat that can do both pule , dimming and even on off. Before i throw money at it id like to hear peoples options who have one.
[doublepost=1561448884,1561448250][/doublepost]received_2703633002998181.jpeg received_468533407292436.jpeg
[doublepost=1561448931][/doublepost]
Thank you for the detailed response. This particular set up would not have been my first choice at all and i will likely change it up abit. I just was given everything in one go.
I will add some pictures and listen to more experienced suggestions if you would care to point out obvious failures please.
I have been looking at the microclimate EVO light as a good thermostat that can do both pule , dimming and even on off. Before i throw money at it id like to hear peoples options who have one.
[doublepost=1561448884,1561448250][/doublepost]received_2703633002998181.jpeg received_468533407292436.jpeg
received_457641681472270.jpeg

I would probably have a low wattage heat mat on all the time depending upon the ambient temperature of the cage/room.I don't use bulbs, but if i did I would use a timer and a dimming thermostat as you don't need basking heat all the time.

I would probably have a low wattage heat mat on all the time depending upon the ambient temperature of the cage/room.I don't use bulbs, but if i did I would use a timer and a dimming thermostat as you don't need basking heat all the time.
Thank for the comment mate. So im noticing a pattern here that a jungle python does not require a basking spot?

Thank for the comment mate. So im noticing a pattern here that a jungle python does not require a basking spot?

Almost no snakes really need one, but for some (like, say, Diamonds or Tiger Snakes) it's best to have one. In general, snakes (and reptiles in general) which come from cold climates or seasonally cold climates need them more than reptiles from tropical climates. Diurnal reptiles need them more than nocturnal reptiles. Jungles are nocturnal, tropical pythons. Very much something which doesn't need a basking lamp.

If a Bearded Dragon is active and doing its thing, it's during the day and in the sun. If a Jungle Carpet is doing its thing, it's mostly at night and thus obviously not in sunshine. When Jungles are active during the day they're not sticking themselves in bright sunshine trying to heat up - that's what reptiles in cold climates do, or reptiles which love it really, really hot like most monitor lizards.

Almost no snakes really need one, but for some (like, say, Diamonds or Tiger Snakes) it's best to have one. In general, snakes (and reptiles in general) which come from cold climates or seasonally cold climates need them more than reptiles from tropical climates. Diurnal reptiles need them more than nocturnal reptiles. Jungles are nocturnal, tropical pythons. Very much something which doesn't need a basking lamp.

If a Bearded Dragon is active and doing its thing, it's during the day and in the sun. If a Jungle Carpet is doing its thing, it's mostly at night and thus obviously not in sunshine. When Jungles are active during the day they're not sticking themselves in bright sunshine trying to heat up - that's what reptiles in cold climates do, or reptiles which love it really, really hot like most monitor lizards.
Thanks again fof a detailed response. Im 90% sure i want to get rid of the ceramic bulb entirely. I will continue to monitor things over the next few days.
I certainly will not run this sort of set up for my next one , although it will be a hatchling and i will have plenty of time to get things right this was kind of dropped on my lap this way.

Thank you once again.

Totally understandable. My first snake enclosure had three heat sources (for Antaresia!). It was a completely stupid design and I set the whole thing up myself. Back then I'd never used the internet and there were no reptile husbandry books available, you have to start somewhere! If I was starting out knowing nothing and someone just dropped a snake and enclosure in my lap I'm sure I'd also start out using it as it is while I was working the whole snake thing out. It's great that you're keen to learn and it seems like you're bang on the right track!

Totally understandable. My first snake enclosure had three heat sources (for Antaresia!). It was a completely stupid design and I set the whole thing up myself. Back then I'd never used the internet and there were no reptile husbandry books available, you have to start somewhere! If I was starting out knowing nothing and someone just dropped a snake and enclosure in my lap I'm sure I'd also start out using it as it is while I was working the whole snake thing out. It's great that you're keen to learn and it seems like you're bang on the right track!
I am very keen to learn , been spending every moment of my spare time doing research and watching videos but even then i feel the best way can be to seek advice from people like yourself with years of experience. Im sure i will have more questions as time goes on. I have so much to learn but i am loving it and planning on staying in the hobby for many years to come.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Derek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back