Thermostat probe placement??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donkey_Kong

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question about where to place the temperature probe for my thermostat, I was just going to attach it somehow to a branch under the heat source but just had an odd thought about what will happen if the snake happens to lay on top of it, would this interfere with the reading enough to worry about or am I fine to leave it with this placement??

Hoping to get a hatchy this season and don't want any dramas that can easily be avoided..

I take it this is for an enclosure?? As hatchies r best kept in click clacks till established feeders and put abit of size on

Yes, this is for an enclosure.. I'm aware of that and have a click clack set up as well ready to go, but I'm not entirely decided whether I'll be going for an older/larger snake or a hatchy at this point (maybe both, haha) so I'm kind of hedging my bets with both options by having both set ups ready to go..

It's something I've wanted for quite a while but haven't had a good opportunity until recently to go ahead with it, so it's not something I've jumped into lightly, both set ups have been tested for quite a while, I'm just trying button up the things I may have overlooked like this before an animal gets near it, so thank you for you're advice, but I'm simply trying to clarify whether the probe placement I suggested in the original post could or will cause me any headaches..

Thanks..

Hi D.K. I would say yes your snake would interfere with the thermostat reading, I would suggest placing it against a wall not too far from your hot spot and adjust thermostat temps accordingly.
Example, I have my prob on the wall (held in place with u nail) near the floor, but my python sleeps on the shelf a lot closer to the heat source, prob is set at 29, hot spot 30, where python sleeps 32-33.
Hope that helps.

Make sure you also have a thermometer probe or temp gun to get a reading for the basking spot. You can not rely on the thermostat dial/settings to give the right temps.

I put mine on the wall so he doesnt lie on it, I measured the distance from the CHE to where he would bask and put it the same distance away on the wall, that has so far worked well, both spots are the same temp :)

My snakes lay on the probe all the time which causes a false reading but when it gets too hot they leave the basking spot and return to their hide or a cooler part of the enclosure. The thermostat then gets the correct reading and turns off the heat sauce. Not too big of a deal.

cheers for the help guys, will be moving and retesting it all once I work out how to place it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back