Thermostat probes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwayne84

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Can someone please tell me the best place to set my probe for my thermostat it's a habistat brand or maybe upload some pictures .. or a diagram would be handy it's a 2ft x 2ft enclosure melamine reptile is a stimson python .... thanks hope someone can give advice

Ok thanks ... why are most python tanks thermostat more closer to the cool end in e.g. the ones u buy from pet shops & supplys...

Ok thanks ... why are most python tanks thermostat more closer to the cool end in e.g. the ones u buy from pet shops & supplys...
???
Pet shops can be a bit... strange

But I’m assuming they know how to use a thermostat, and you might be looking at the setup wrong

The way it was described to me (and I only chime in because I'm a newby myself - and maybe as a noob I can speak noob language)... ;-) but...

... it doesn't matter how cold the cold end of the cage gets. The important part is to make sure that the snake can self regulate between the hot and the cold.

The only danger to the snake, and why thermostats are used is to keep the hot end hot - without the risk of overheating the snake. Snakes can cook themselves if the hot end gets too hot.

So... I've been told - setup the hot end to be the upper temperature, and let the rest of the cage work itself out. (This is for terrestrial snakes - ones in tree's I have no idea about).

Thus - putting the termostat on the hot end allows the heating element to remain active until it gets to a set temperature, and then stops it from going into danger zone. If the snake needs to cool down - they go to the cool end. If they get cold, they go to the hot end.

In the end it sounds like Selly's silicon may be best to glue things down. It's easy enough to peel off if needed. But as for my thermostat if you put it under the paper substrate - it can probably just sit there without been locked down. I second @Herptology do not use tape! I've seen horrible things with snakes and tape.

As for pet stores - they're like any other retail store. They all have opinions - but most are there because it's a job. People here are here because they're enthusiastic. Choose for yourself who is more interested in learning what's best for their snakes and who to listen to. ;-)

The way it was described to me (and I only chime in because I'm a newby myself - and maybe as a noob I can speak noob language)... ;-) but...

... it doesn't matter how cold the cold end of the cage gets. The important part is to make sure that the snake can self regulate between the hot and the cold.

The only danger to the snake, and why thermostats are used is to keep the hot end hot - without the risk of overheating the snake. Snakes can cook themselves if the hot end gets too hot.

So... I've been told - setup the hot end to be the upper temperature, and let the rest of the cage work itself out. (This is for terrestrial snakes - ones in tree's I have no idea about).

Thus - putting the termostat on the hot end allows the heating element to remain active until it gets to a set temperature, and then stops it from going into danger zone. If the snake needs to cool down - they go to the cool end. If they get cold, they go to the hot end.

You speak n00b better than most experts speak expert.

Exactly how Adam put it, a cold snake can warm up, a cooked snake well it's too late to cool down. I have a dial thermometer in the cool end just to make sure the cool end is staying under 30 (usually sits around 26-28) and thermostat probe in the hot end to ensure it doesn't get over heated.

I think about it in terms of 'we are providing heat, not cooling'. As long as you have guaranteed hot area, the cold are can be as cold as you like (because the animal is never forced to be that cold; it can move to the hot area). As long as you have a guaranteed cold area, the hot area can be as hot as you like (because the animal is never forced to use the hot area, it can move to the cold area).

If you are providing heat and setting it at the coldest part of the enclosure, there is no cold area, meaning you can potentially cook the animal, and maintaining a controlled temperature of the hot end (the single most important aspect of reptile husbandry) is impossible.

Back