Thermostat Troubles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steppo94

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently changed the setup of my thermostats so that i had both a heat lamp and a heat mat running (used for the same enclosure) off the one thermostat (originally I had just the heat lamp connected to the thermostat because the heat mat didn't excessively hot but then I realised one day the heat mat might becom faulty and heat up excessively, and I was too lazy to set up 2 thermostats so close to each other).
Then yesterday I noticed that it had changed somehow so that it would turn off the temp went below the set temp instead of over it. so i changed thermostats and today the same thing happened. They are THAT040 thermostats (see pic below) bought second hand so i don't know if I overloaded them or they have just stopped working due to old age.

Any thoughts....
Thanks, Ben

Attachments

• Thermostat.jpg
    Thermostat.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 45
I have the same one gathering dust,it was original and first one I got years ago.Found it unreliable and went to Microclimate.But single thermostats won't run mats and lamps.

These may not be as closely accurate as other, more expensive thermostats but I have never had one of these black ones fail on me. I did think they were no good at one time because it didn't work well with my lights - the light was going off and on too much. But where is the probe on your thermostat? Lights heat up quick and if your probe is too close to the light it won't be getting a true temperature reading. Try moving the probe further away from the light, if that is where it is. I have one of these thermostats controlling two 80W heatcords on my hatchy rack and it has been more reliable than any other. But in saying this, I have a habistat thermostat on my incubator and among the fancier thermostats, this one has been the best in its class.

I have the probe at the bottom of the enclosure in the hot spot. the lights and heat mat are on timer and alternate day/night. Thanks, for your help, i'm going to go buy some thermostats tomorrow anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back