Thermostats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaa

Reaction score
I was just wondering why there is such a price gap between the two types of thermostats :?:
How does a wall mounting thermostat work?
I know that with a probe thermostate the heating is connected to the thermostat which is connected to the power. A probe measures the temprature inside the cage and turns the heat on or off accordingly. One of these types will sell for around $80
I have also seen the wall mounted thermostats which only sell for $30 :!:
Why is this so and how does it work (please don't get to technical, the only electronics I ever did was in year 9 making an electronic dice . . . which didnt work :oops: )

Hi Whaa,
The wall mounted model needs to be mounted inside (of course we all already knew this) and needs to be wired up from an extension cord to the thermostat,then from thermostat to the heat source.Inside the thermostat is a gas filled bellow which determines when desired temps are reached shutting off the power to the heat source then turning power back on once dropping below the desired temp.Not sure if that was what you were after or not,but theres a brief description of an internal thermostat.Let me know if you want the full wiring up details.

whaa
I feel from my experience i have built a few cages for people and myself. Is that a mounted thermostat on the outside is the way to go. There is one at URS thast can plug the heat source stright in that is very cheap $40 or so, but works great. You just plug your heat source in, drop your prob on the inside and your off.
Hope this helped. Justin

Whaa, I prefer the wall mounts myself but it is a personal choice really. If you are not a sparky you may be safer using the probe type stat but if you or a friend is a sparky then I would go with the wall mounts :) Hope thats not too confusing.

I use wall mounts only due to them being cheaper to purchase.Many keepers prefer the probe type units so they can reposition the probe or test all areas of the enclosure etc.IMO id prefer the cheaper route and use a digital thermometer.The only problem with wall mounts is that the snake may adjust temp setting accidently,so for this reason I make a clear plastic bracket guard over the dial control making sure not to cover the sensor.

thanks for the replies.
I think for now I will stick with the probe thermostates but will seriously consider wall mounted ones for some time in the future.

I use IMIT TA2 wall mounts for price reasons.
If price was no object, I'd use the digital probe thermo's with day / night setting and audible warnings when temp gets too high or low.

I get probe thermostats from herp shop there $55 and it costed $6.50 freight.

Mags ol buddy,
Are they day and night temp adjustable? You wouldnt have a model number or a site where I could check them out do you? I use to reduce the temps by 5 or so degrees at night mechanically (way too much effort though).

Would suspect that the probe jobbie need high quality cable to transfer from sensor to box as the resistance change is what is detected whearas the inbuilt ones need less therefore cheaper.

Cheers Hawkeye

(by the way I could be completely wrong)

I looked on the herp shop and I say the one which you mentioned brendan for $55. Why is the other one $85??? I can't see any difference???

When you say capillary wire I presume you mean the sensor. The problem we have in medical electronics is that the loss of signal to the transducer alters the temperature recorded therefore the transfer wire has to be high quality (ie from sensor to transducer).

Or am I just talking through my **** again???

Cheers Hawkeye

Yeah the capilliary is the wire,(tube), which goes from the bulb to the switching unit. Any losses through low quality capilliary can be compensated for by adjustment of the switching unit itself so it doesn't really have to be a high quality for the applications we require for our herps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back