Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Nicole for continuation in this topic presented by photo's.
This topic is so interesting.

I am sorry that some members have bad manners in the way they try to push personal opinion. This topic is classic example how they can ruin interesting topic.
I feel sorry for moderators some times. Hard job to please all members.

Well I am glad the pics are back up ,will be interesting to follow these guys ...
So C.P.c.au ....how many from that clutch have you lost so far...only two?

No, the other egg is out of another clutch. I got 9 good and 3 slugs out of this female. She is 4 years old an it was her first clutch. She also probes 12 scales deep on both sides,Thus the reason she is only breeding at 4. She was sold to us as male. I have heard there has been a few issues when sexing these snakes. An endoscopy confirmed her sex.

I have a female coastal that probed 11 both sides
That's the spirit nicole;)

Yes one of my females also probes 12 scales deep. She is 5 years old and this is her first clutch. She was also sold to me as a male, funnily enough I didn't have much luck putting her over my female for the last couple of years!! At least she got to grow a bit bigger and get plenty of condition. She had 18eggs with 1 slug. I have been told that to get the most accurate results when sexing albino hatchies that it is best to do it in the first 24hrs. I have no idea why this is!

Attachments

• Albino eggs resized.jpg
    Albino eggs resized.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 109
Sexing within the first 24 hours means manual eversion of hemipenes, NOT probing! The hemipenal muscles aren't working very well immediately after hatching, so you can gently pop them out. This is not recommended for many species though, which are too delicate for the procedure. This even can be done on tiny hatchling skinks under a microscope by experienced persons!

Day 54 and 55:
Not much to report. They are starting to move a lot. Their pupils are constricting and dilating a lot more. Here are the pics. I am starting with day 54 pics and rolling them into day 55.
DSC02623.jpg

DSC02627.jpg

DSC02633.jpg

DSC02635.jpg

Day 55:
DSC02636.jpg

DSC02637.jpg

DSC02638.jpg

DSC02648.jpg

DSC02649.jpg

DSC02650.jpg

DSC02651.jpg

DSC02653.jpg

Enjoy!

I cut the egg a little neater yeasterday. Its amazing to see that the veins attached to the inside of the shell has not collapsed or deteriorated. So the hatchling is still using these little veins to absorb oxygen through the shell. The shell have however become brittle and dry since I cut it. Very inteesting indeed. I guess i am paying a lot more attention than previous years, seeing that i want to keep you guys updated about everything that is happening.

the 3rd and 4th last photo's are great, that one is looking almost ready to go !

very interesting ...am really hoping all goes well for these young ones ...get a bit more attached to threads like this as you watch to see what is happening ...

I'll add I don't even like piping my own eggs after a few have poked their heads out , but each to there own.
Its weird to see , and I am sure if I was breeding anything worth more than $2. I would prob pip them just incase :D

Thanks for puting the pics back up.

So the hatchling is still using these little veins to absorb oxygen through the shell.
The laws of physics say that this is not happening ;)
The oxygen will be passing through the bare membrane now, not the shell.

The shell have however become brittle and dry since I cut it.
Similar to my comment above. There is no permeation pressure for gasses and liquids to pass through the egg shell.

Normally the solid egg shell is in a constant state of transfer of gasses, and so it can maintain it's rigid (e.g. Chicken) or soft (bearded dragon eggs) structure.

And why would blood vessels stay alive on the egg shell? Their purpose is to oxygenate the blood?

Hmm. I'll need to brush up on my biology here.
Are the veins anchored onto the shell? Since there's no capillaries to act as sponges in oxygen absorption, the oxygen molecules simply permeate through the shell and ultimately the embryonic sac.

Also I think it's time that every got a refresher of what Brian Barnett achieved way back in 1979
Captive breeding and a novel egg incubation technique of the Childrens Python Liasis childreni

*EDIT* and in answer to our question about the blood vessels staying alive, well it'll be against the developing snakes' interests to shut down the vessels. You'll get a breakdown of tissue, adding more waste to the system.

The blood vessels are attached to the shell and they are bright red. The veins are also nice and thick. As the movement of gasses depend on high and low potentials I would suspect that oxygen and carbon dioxide will exchange regardless of the presence of a porous shell. High oxygen levels outside the egg would allow for movement of oxygen into the blood that has a lower concentration of oxygen and vice versa for carbon dioxide.

But that's my point. The gas would pass through the exposed area, and no longer through the egg shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back