Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not the first egg tooth,I told you which one I could see an egg tooth in the 3rd and 4th closeup larger pics form yesterday in one of my postss asking if you could see it too,you asked which one and i explained asking if you could see it too,I'm sure if you look at the pcs I said I could see the egg tooth...So basically they develope an egg tooth quite rapidly in the last few days of incubation...my question has been answered now anyway,thanks!

What happened to the egg in the top right corner? They look alot differnt to when first piped, I think it's pretty clear they were undeveloped. Interesting read though.
Could be the hemepenes which you can see clearly in a few eggs rather than a deformity or underdeveloped I guess we'll see if it's underdeveloped or deformed when/if it hatches out.

Due to the hopefully temporal instance of differing epistemologies voiced herein, I rescind my former statements, in so far as I believe power is weakness, pride is a vice and knowledge is a virtue unto itself co-incident with humility. Subesequently please accept my apologies for alluding to racial prejudice in a former posting.

Good work with your eggs so far Carpetpythons, I wish the hatchlings all the best.

It was dead when i opened it ( I have photographic proof). Its nobodys loss at the end of the day but mine. I also dont understand why i would risk animals of significant value for a method that is unsafe and that could kill all of them? But you are all entitled to your opinions. I am glad there are some that found this thread informative. I might just keep all of these seeing that they survived such an ordeal. On a side note: It is well known that the hemipenes are only retracted at the end of the incubation period. I do know the difference between a hemipene and a deformity. My God you guys are sceptics.

Well there ya go,it seems as though things aren't going as well as was said to be.

And you can gauge just how things in my collection are from 1 egg dieing out of 250 eggs? Come on Browns you should know best of all that you sometimes cant help certain eggs from dieing. If you dont have 100% hatch rates you are an inferior breeder? I could have made up a story like most breeders do about my 100% hatch rates, but i did'nt. You win some and you lose some. Thats how life works.

And you can gauge just how things in my collection are from 1 egg dieing out of 250 eggs? Come on Browns you should know best of all that you sometimes cant help certain eggs from dieing. If you dont have 100% hatch rates you are an inferior breeder? I could have made up a story like most breeders do about my 100% hatch rates, but i did'nt. You win some and you lose some. Thats how life works.

I havn't bred a whole heap of animals, but every egg that I've incubated has hatched, on it's own accord. I've had two hatch and die soon after, but they were visibly weakend, and weren't going to survive, they never had their first sloughs after about 10days and then died. It's not impossible to get 100% hatch rate, quiet easy in my experiance.

As I have said before, this method works for me and I will keep using it. This death was a first for me. The only other deaths I have ever had has been out of a clutch that I left to pip themselves. We have already assessed that these snakes are weak, deformed and born without egg teeth. That should be enough to explain a likely death. It's still close enough to a 100% hatch rate as I would like. Thanks for the opinions by the way!

I still have never lost an egg and have always had 100% hatch rate from eggs that are good to start with. I have had some **** looking eggs this season that have hatched but I had to put more time into them. My darwins started to sink after 2 days in the incubator so I had put a damp tea towel over the top of the tub and spray them every 2 days but they all ended up coming out. I hope I never have one die in the egg but the odds say I will. I pip them at 55 days but only a very small slit in the top and every time they poke there heads out at 58 days at 31.4 deg. That was with a total of 319 eggs. Cheers Jarrod

I havn't bred a whole heap of animals, but every egg that I've incubated has hatched, on it's own accord. I've had two hatch and die soon after, but they were visibly weakend, and weren't going to survive, they never had their first sloughs after about 10days and then died. It's not impossible to get 100% hatch rate, quiet easy in my experiance.

I wish to be as good as you mate. maybe in time I will learn more and achieve same perfection like you. So far I do have some times egg with problem. 100% success in all clutches each year task I will newer concur. That I am sure about.

Photos are great and thank you for posting. Not to long to go

Maybe keepers should post honest hatch ratios. How many eggs laid versus how many eggs hatched. They can also ad how many clutches one male sired. What their ratios of male to female was, etc. It would be interesting to compare notes although most would be reluctant to share this type of information.

This is indeed an interesting thread.... For what its worth, those taking note of this cutting episode for their own reference and future application, tread carefully.... there is a big difference between knowledge, and the application of said knowledge, furthermore in scenarios such as this thread, its another leap to know when to take action....

It must be said that CP.com did a good job of the cutting, though fell well short of judging the date of application, for no matter how its sliced and diced, since the cut date, the first set of picturess, the eggs have dessicated quite dramatically compared to the downward spiral a normal un-cut eggs would have taken over the same period prior to hatch date.

An argument bought to the fore often, though swept aside every time, is what should be the duty of every breeder in the hobby, removing inferior specimens from the gene pool. A moot point to argue, hell even in defence of cutting eggs, Derek Roddy wrote that to hatch a BHP in the US, you have to cut them. To me the statement itself infers that their lines are somehow unable to hatch themselves, a step in the fundamental design of an egg, that quite possibly by the pipping of the eggs, from what is a small gene pool to start with, that they have perpetuated animals of weak genetic integrity, by circumventing one of the first physical tests of natural selection. Anyone willing to debate that all snakes are not created equal, is a fool, and that first mechanical barrier, escaping the egg, is the first in a miriad of trials, that in the wild selects for the strongest individuals, to become an adult and in turn pass on their superior genetics. Breeding in captivity, we have marked success raising hatchies to adult, generation by generation our success is leading to the downfall of the genetic integrity of our charges, the least we could do is let hatching take its course to seperate some of the wheat from the chaff.

You have argued a valid point. How many keepers do you know that would actually euthenase weaker specimens? For whatever reason? Pipping eggs would not be the only thing we as keepers are conciously doingto prmote weaker lines. What about inbreedingg and line breeding? Surely this can be seen as just as damaging.

Maybe keepers should post honest hatch ratios. How many eggs laid versus how many eggs hatched. They can also ad how many clutches one male sired. What their ratios of male to female was, etc. It would be interesting to compare notes although most would be reluctant to share this type of information.

I agree with you 100% on this one. Many new breeders don't realise that it is really common to have problems hatching sometimes, and it is possible to lose whole clutches or generally have a high mortality rate. Death is a dirty word though, esp with young snakes that have hatched out or with various morphs, as you don't want people to think you have a weak line or a possible disease in your collection... Some Geckos have proved near impossible for me to hatch and it took many year of incubating at different temps, humidity levels, different incubation substrates, to work out they all had nothing to do with it and it was in fact the temperature the females were being kept at during the period of being gravid that was effecting the eggs... Some years I would lose 50 animals in their eggs, though thats out of several hundred.

Did I say i was talking about your whole collection?Did I say that anyone who doesn't get %100 hatch rate is an inferior breeder?One way of proving someone is a superior breeder "yourwords" I wouldn't say inferior or superior but just succesfull.I was not insinuating anything along those lines however I was referring to the clutch in this thread and if you go back to some of the things you stated earlier on in this thread ,someone said it will be interesting to see if they all hatch out and your reply was,not if but "will" all hatch out! Already even before any have hatched out you already had one die even though your giving them the easiest chance at hatching into this world..

Now I'm not trying to start any arguements but I'm just replying to the information you have provided in this thread.You said this death was a first for you along with a clutch you hadn't pipped so seeing as you said you hadn't had a whole clutch die obviously some from that clutch hatched but how many didn't?You also said previously that you once had lost enough eggs to make anyone paranoid as well as having some murray darlings not hatch which isn't exactly what I'd call a first for you.It seems you said some things early in this thread which you seemed sure of which hasen't turned out to be the case and when showen this you get all defensive.However as I said I'm replying to things you have stated yourself but later in the thread you're acknowledging quite a few things you stated weren't exactly correct.

Yes I do know sometimes eggs just won't hatch giving a 100% hatch rate however you were very confident at the start of this thread about several things which again didn't turn out to be the case!. I know several people who regularly get a 100% hatch rate and they weren't bs'ing.I also agreed with you when someone questioned if a certain animal was deformed or not ?I did say it looks like it's just the hemepenes which may have been mistaken as being deformed and the only way to find out if it's deformed or not if/when they hatch out which I think is a wrong term to use in this case as they don't actually hatch out but come out of a large hole in the egg provided by yourself to increase the chances of hatching/coming out.

This has been a great thread which has brought up and answered several very informative questions providing much information on other topics not just pipping information and has been educational for most people here and as you say it works for you.An observation made from reading several of your comments is that you seem to point out you've been breeding these for some time,would you be able to let pople know how long you've bred albino carpets for as the way you state things makes it seem you have been breeding these for a long time now which just doesn't wash as the albino carpets haven't been around for that long and would only be producing second generation animals as of late.

I do agree that if something is working well for you why change,as long as you're having success consistantly even if it is a differing method to others the main thing is as long as it works well for you is the main thing! Many people have great success using different methods again with the end result being the same so as long as you're having uccess consistantly there's really no right or wrong method be they different or not.

With incubating snake-lizard eggs there is no right or wrong way,many years alot of breeders would put the eggs in a sealed container floating in a fishtank...They didnt have the top of the range thermostats like we do,and after speaking with a couple,as long as the eggs were fertile,they had a good hatch rate...Whatever works well for one doesnt mean it will work for someone else,some people have had great success with the no substrate method over water,while others use the vermiculite-perlite method,Its a personal choice,if you decide to pip the eggs on day 50,basically its your choice,but those who do pip the eggs usually wait til atleast one starts to pip,again its your choice...I just hope that these hatch soon...Its been a great thread with alot of great answers....All the best.................MARK

Nothing to add here, just wondering if I win the lucky door prize of an albino hatchy for being post #400??? Woohoo....

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back