Thick-Tailed Geckos

Discussion in 'Australian Lizards and Monitors' started by tyler97, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyler97

tyler97 Active Member

Hi,
    So mum said I can get a Thick-Tailed Gecko. I have been researching and there is so much conflicting information I got confused. Anyways, I thought I would ask you all how you guys look after them. I am 14 so i thought they would be a great first gecko. Can I hold them or are they more for show? Cage requirements for 1 juvi or 1 adult, temps, heating, etc. Just the basic stuff that will keep him/her healthy and happy :) If you want you can drop me a PM of some of your set ups or just put them on here so I know what to do, etc.

Cheers Tyler

2. Digitaliss

Digitaliss Guest

I have one of these, they are great little guys.

I personally wouldn't recommend holding it, but in saying that, some are more tolerant than others. Mine hates being touched so I do not do so.

I live in QLD and its been hot here at the moment, I dont heat mine at all. I will only begin to heat when is starts to cool down for winter. These geckos don't like the heat and generally cannot tolerate over 30 degrees. I have a fan on for mine during the day.

Mine as a single lives in a 30x30x30 tank but I am in the process of making a larger enclosure. They are terrestrial, this means that they need a lot of floor space. Please remember to put a lid on the tank. Many places will tell you that you dont need one, but so many of these little guys escape because of no lid.

If you would like something you can handle, I would recommend something like a bearded dragon as Geckos are very fragile

3. Smithers

Smithers Very Well-Known Member

If your short on cash a under bed storage container from the reject shop have clip locks on the ends.

Just need to either drill or soldering iron some holes for ventalation and a bit of play sand from bunnings, feed crix the size that can fit between eyes (sometimes bigger gets a more agressive feeder I have found.

No heat and on the hot days over 30c as mentioned above put tub on bathroom floor to cool down. Great starter gecko and come in colours from dark brown to a yellowish colour.

Congrats on the go ahead ;) You'll have to show us pics when it/they arrive.

WARNING: Geckos are very addictive. ;)

Edit: As all newbs to geckos I suggest Rob Porters - Keeping Australian Geckos around $16-20 online, Herpbooks usually sell it.

4. Digitaliss

Digitaliss Guest

Tell me about it! If we didnt just move house making me low on cash for a few months, I would have a house full!

5. tyler97

tyler97 Active Member

Thanks for the info haha I just need to find a breeder on the Central Coast NSW lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.