Thieves steal 35 snakes from home

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully one of them does get bitten and caught as a result.. if they are bitten and die then the snakes will just die eventually too.

The odds of dying from a snake-bite in Australia is pretty low, with exception for very remote areas. most likely outcome is he will go to hospital instead of choose to die. If he does die, I'm sure he'll be discovered well and truly before the snakes die and all will be well or they will be destroyed as they may assume wild caught.
Moving may just be a coincidence, but i am always suspicious of coincidence. These two people most likely haven't got any way of getting into contact with each other unfortunately, unless they already know one another or someone is willing to say they know both those people (which at this point in time would be a very risky thing to do and may lead to problems for that person.. so i don't see anyone putting their hand up for it)
As someone else said "very sad day for the hobby"

A very sad day indeed, very sorry to hear this Kris. It's sad when you can't even share your interest with others in the hobby without risking having your collection knocked off. Makes one think twice about even associating with other 'herp' people...

very very sorry to hear mate i had the same thing happen a few years ago about ten gran worth of pythons at my house on the gold coast i believe somone who had bought a snake from me or somone they told but no proof sinse then i dont trust anyone and when i breed i never ever sell from home now i live in a secured gated security controled complex and am very careful who i tell and show i never got any of mine back sorry mate i feel for you

It might just be an idea for somebody to post up how they go about selling their reptiles to give others an idea what they can do instead of selling from home?

I sold my snake and had the buyer come over and get it and obviously 99% of the time this will be the end of it (especially if you just own 2 or 3 herps) but what happens if you have an awesome collection? What if somebody wants to see their purchase before paying? You can't meet in public because you apparently aren't allowed to take your reptiles out in public, you can't have them come to your place in case they decide to come back later and help themselves.. Even if a seller asks for your address to post you something.. what's to stop them coming to your place? Or telling others what you own?

Anybody have ideas on the best way to do it?

that is terrible, I hope they catch the scum. this is way to close to home for me and i cant believe that this is becoming more and more common. i have always had ppl come round when purchasing although i dont let them view my whole collection it makes me think twice before trusting anyone which is extremely dissapointing. :(

Low life. Whats even worse is they are probably on this forum as well and laughing because no one has a clue. Sooner or later they are bound to slip up though and hopefully all of these can be pinned on them. I would be very surprised given the similarity between the 2 cases if it wasn't the same people. I rarely wish ill of anyone but in these cases make an exception.
I don't have a collection worth bothering about but I still try not to deal from my house. Usually I drop off or meet somewhere. Only people I have come to mine I know very well and that is really only 2 people.

Sad part is I have had a number of people be very welcoming in showing me their collection and have learnt a lot from such visits. My herping experience would be much poorer if this hadn't happened. Its a shame that scum like this mean that this type of experience will not be possible for many as people become more paranoid (and rightly so) allowing no one to see their collections.

In many cases its our pride and joy and should be shared not hidden away and spoken of to no one. Sucks that some people ruin all of that.

It is a sad state of events that has happend to fellow snake owners. To think that someone can come into your property like that and walk away with your collection. On another note (stepping back to dodge the bullets) Advertising that this has happened gives the people hero statis as they are mentioned on the news, in the papers on forums which I think encourages them to keep going. I have nothing against giving your support and sympathy for the victims of crime but the more we talk about the low life that has done this the more big headed they get.

cwtiger, let their heads get big.. the more this is talked about the more people know and the more eyes and ears in the herp world are looking and listening.

I don't sell from home anymore. I take a selection of snakes to a local school and meet the buyers there. I don't even write my address on the movement advice anymore, I just write "as per your records" and haven't had any problems. If they wanted to see the parents i'd just bag them up and take them too. Too many people are having their pets stolen now and it scares the hell out of me. Its like quarantine... better safe than sorry

Far out. poor smithy. that sux hard. does anyone now if in both these high profile recent "house move" events whether documentation to DECC was given for notice address change prior? It seems suss with the bummble bee and vens taken.... but decc would know what you have, if they know what you are doing with it... well bagged snakes are the easiest way to walk in and walk out loaded.

That's just not good. Unfortunately, same thing happens in the rare fish hobby too. I used to arrange to meet at a local landmark to sell / trade my fish for this exact reason. Bottom line is, if you have a collection of value don't just let any willy nilly person in to take a peek and scope it all out. You don't know what sort of trouble you are inviting. I hope they left their mark and are caught and punished appropriately.

Terrible news.... Makes me think I should have all my herps in one big room and then have a guard Perentie living in there..... That could be fun :p

very sad news I just wish for once the would get caught.
and i Hope the dead ####'s get what is coming to them.

heres hoping they end up at ipswich hosp after makin contact with the brown lol if someone ends up there with a bite to the hand maybe just maybe the snakes might end up back at home safely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back