Thing that annoys me

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BredliFreak

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you if you guys get this but...

I find it really annoying when people get their facts wrong or identify something incorrectly (especially animals). I don't know why, but this really annoys me. Maybe it's just my brain trying to put knowledge to use but I'll post some examples so you can see what I mean:

This picture shows an 'eastern brown snake' but it is clearly a keelback due to the loreal scale.
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2011/01/wildlife-hit-hard-by-queensland-floods

Another example was on QI when Steven Fry said that a boa constrictor was the only species where the scientific name is the same as the common name but I thought "Aren't they called red-tailed boas?"

My final one was in my grandma's old copy Women's Weekly australian wildlife/reptiles and a Central Beardie (Pogona Vitticeps) was classified as a Spiny-Tailed gecko (Strophurus sp.).

Feel free to let me know if this annoys you, if you have seen examples of this or other things that annoy you in general.

Bredli

Yeah it annoys me to...Boa Constrictor (Boa constrictor). They have the same common English name and binomial name. Red tailed Boas are often referred to as (Boa constrictor imperator)...maybe Steven Fry was right...funny that.

I use to get annoyed by stuff like that, but I figured it doesn't really matter in the end. I'm sure it annoy others when I don't know the difference between a macaroon or a macaron or when I pronounce Lamborghini wrong. I use to get annoyed by people not understanding differentiation of turtles and tortoises, and another one that I know annoys a lot of people is the difference between venom and poison; but, at the end of the day when we are constantly correcting people, who don't care about the subject, we just come across as an ***.

Also, the Tyrannosaurus rex is another animal (extinct) that has the same Binomial name as its common name.

Yeah it annoys me to...Boa Constrictor (Boa constrictor). They have the same common English name and binomial name. Red tailed Boas are often referred to as (Boa constrictor imperator)...maybe Steven Fry was right...funny that.
I believe the Red-tailed Boa is Boa constrictor constrictor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back