Thinking of Buying a Scorpion

Discussion in 'Other Animals and Invertebrate' started by Dilstep, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Dilstep

Dilstep New Member

Hey guys i'm new here haha , i'm deciding whether or not to buy a scorpion I'm looking into getting one as a pet.

SO for Scorpions...

1. What kind of lighting do you need for them ?
    2. What species one is the best to buy as a someone who has never owned a scorpion before ?
    3. Are they easy to look after?
    4. How many times should i feed them ?
    5. What enclosure/tank do i need for them ..how big or small etc

Any help is much appreciated !! :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. danyjv

danyjv Active Member

I had a flinders scorp easy to look after really easy ( unless I was doing some thing wrong)
    I feed twice a week , lite mist the tank maybe 2-3 times a week . I had red desert sand so when I was misted it forms a crust and the scorp can dig a borrow .. no light no heat . This is just what I did

300x300 tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2018
  3. cris

cris Almost Legendary

4. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid New Member

Sup. I have kept several species over the years, and in my personal opinion i think Black Rock Scorpions (Urodacus Manicatus) are hands down the easiest I've kept. I have kept mine in plastic take-away containers with some coco peat, spagnum moss and ventilation holes for 4 years, never needed any heating and changed the substrate once. All are perfectly happy. They are great eaters and fine for handling, its actually harder to annoy them than hold them. I feed mine 1-2 times a week depending on if they are hungry and lighty spray the substrate and sides every 3 days so they can drink and won't dry out. I have also found in the wild colonies where several of them live under the same rock so you MIGHT be able to keep a few in a container at the same time. Hope this helps some!