Thinking of Buying a Scorpion

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilstep

Reaction score
Hey guys i'm new here haha , i'm deciding whether or not to buy a scorpion I'm looking into getting one as a pet.

SO for Scorpions...

1. What kind of lighting do you need for them ?
  2. What species one is the best to buy as a someone who has never owned a scorpion before ?
  3. Are they easy to look after?
  4. How many times should i feed them ?
  5. What enclosure/tank do i need for them ..how big or small etc

Any help is much appreciated !! :D

Last edited:
I had a flinders scorp easy to look after really easy ( unless I was doing some thing wrong)
I feed twice a week , lite mist the tank maybe 2-3 times a week . I had red desert sand so when I was misted it forms a crust and the scorp can dig a borrow .. no light no heat . This is just what I did

I had a flinders scorp easy to look after really easy ( unless I was doing some thing wrong)
I feed twice a week , lite mist the tank maybe 2-3 times a week . I had red desert sand so when I was misted it forms a crust and the scorp can dig a borrow .. no light no heat . This is just what I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300x300 tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys i'm new here haha , i'm deciding whether or not to buy a scorpion I'm looking into getting one as a pet.

SO for Scorpions...

1. What kind of lighting do you need for them ? None, a black light will make them glow, which is pretty cool.
  2. What species one is the best to buy as a someone who has never owned a scorpion before ? Not sure exactly, but you would probably want one of the more active species, many just sit in burrows and don't do much.
  3. Are they easy to look after? Some are, I assume some will require more specific care.
  4. How many times should i feed them ? Multiple times, like other similar animals they are adapted to being able to feed alot and go without for fairly long times.
  5. What enclosure/tank do i need for them ..how big or small etc Depending on the species a plastic takeaway container or small glass tank is all you need.

SO for Scorpions...

1. What kind of lighting do you need for them ?
  2. What species one is the best to buy as a someone who has never owned a scorpion before ?
  3. Are they easy to look after?
  4. How many times should i feed them ?
  5. What enclosure/tank do i need for them ..how big or small etc

Sup. I have kept several species over the years, and in my personal opinion i think Black Rock Scorpions (Urodacus Manicatus) are hands down the easiest I've kept. I have kept mine in plastic take-away containers with some coco peat, spagnum moss and ventilation holes for 4 years, never needed any heating and changed the substrate once. All are perfectly happy. They are great eaters and fine for handling, its actually harder to annoy them than hold them. I feed mine 1-2 times a week depending on if they are hungry and lighty spray the substrate and sides every 3 days so they can drink and won't dry out. I have also found in the wild colonies where several of them live under the same rock so you MIGHT be able to keep a few in a container at the same time. Hope this helps some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back