This is bollocks!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how the guy gets to pick who does and doesn't do the course. Next he'll be banning smokers and drinkers because the NT parks and wildlife disagree with that sort of thing also :rolleyes: If you are offering a course, and person wanting to attend this course is abiding by all the laws of the land you are obliged to perform that service IMO, by not doing so you are leaving yourself open to some form of discrimination I'd imagine.

(ps: Does discrimination exist in the Northern Territory?? :lol: :lol:)
It's probably the same sort of deal as NSW. Insurance is only available to registered wildlife carers and if your not one of them you can't legally rescue and relocate snakes anyway.

It's probably the same sort of deal as NSW. Insurance is only available to registered wildlife carers and if your not one of them you can't legally rescue and relocate snakes anyway.

Funny you should say that. I am a registered wild life carer and that was another reason that i gave him as to why i should be able to do the course. But he told me that it still didn't help me because NTPWS have a policy of euthenasing ALL sick and injured elapids... and i assume that would go as far as colubrids also.

What would happen if you didn't live in the Litchfield area initially, so it was OK for him to train you, then you later moved into his space - do you have to give up your licence? Bureaucrats & wildlife are an uncommonly clumsy and illogical mix.

Why could you not live in an area which has another licensee for that area, and be available for call outs in adjacent areas?

Does the NT have any fair-trading legislation? Because of the commercial implications involved (I understand you can sell rescued snakes to recover costs etc...) these guys are protecting their territory and a source of significant profit... but does the wildlife service have the right to give them a monopoly? It would leave them open to all sorts of doubt about how and why they allocate these licences to any particular person.

Would be quite a different situation if it was a voluntary, money free activity, but it isn't structured that way.

I would follow it up along fair-trading lines...

Jamie.

Well chris peberdy would be one to talk to gordo as he keeps elapids he is a mate of my husband and I. He is a snake handler here in darwin. Maybe give him a try and see what he say's. :D And he is also one of the ppl who do snake removals in the NT.

NT Park blues

Having worked for the NT Parks for approx 15 years until 3 years ago I have never heard of the policy for puting down injured venomous snakes. Its usually a call left to a vet; all sorts of animals are handed out to wildlife carers and I cannot see why ven snakes are any different unless its a liability / insurance issue? Become a registered carer and get onto the local vet's; and tell a lie and get on the course. The NT is renown for people moving on! My policy is to get around red tape by what ever means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back