Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was sus at first and the pic is crap but pretty sure as common as muck round here being a Marsh Snake..plz correct me if im wrong...cause pic so bad it was a nice olive colour with yellow cream stripe across mouth going down under body and small thin head with sideward eyes...was found on a coir peat area after a good shower and only 2 mins from the reptile park lol:lol:
View attachment 271187

From this photo it is hard to tell, but if you still have the snake get a look at the belly scales, if they cover the bottom (belly) of the snake (wide scales) it's not venomous, if it has not very wide scales on it's belly then it isnt venomous. An educated guess says it's a python because of the thickness extending to the head. (Does it have big eyes?)
No it is DEFINITELY NOT A TAIPAN, i live in taipan country and it is as obvious because as you can see-
1. It has no 'lips' (ridges) above it's eyes.
2. It is entirely the wrong colour.
3. it is too fat for it's size.

Hope this helps- Get back to me about the belly scales and eyes, maybe a better photo?

From this photo it is hard to tell, but if you still have the snake get a look at the belly scales, if they cover the bottom (belly) of the snake (wide scales) it's not venomous, if it has not very wide scales on it's belly then it isnt venomous. An educated guess says it's a python because of the thickness extending to the head. (Does it have big eyes?)
No it is DEFINITELY NOT A TAIPAN, i live in taipan country and it is as obvious because as you can see-
1. It has no 'lips' (ridges) above it's eyes.
2. It is entirely the wrong colour.
3. it is too fat for it's size.

Hope this helps- Get back to me about the belly scales and eyes, maybe a better photo?

Wrightpython knows its not a taipan, that was a joke referencing another thread. I'd also be a bit careful advising someone to get closer to an unidentified snake to get a better look at belly scales. I know you're trying to help, but it could end very bad.
Also you say if it has wide scales it isn't venomous, then say if it has" not very wide scales" then it isn't venomous

all my elapids have ever wide or not wide belly scales so now im confused. I still say its a brown taipan keelbeck.

Stop!!!!!! I know the photo was crap but it was a marsh snake like I said earlier.... Yes I should have taken more photos but I was busy working lol

Ozimid,
With only one pale stripe on the side of the head it is more likely to be a White-lipped Snake (Drysdalia coronoides) which will have light coloured ventral scales - cream to orange to slightly olive.
With two pale stripes on the side of the head it is more likely to be a Marsh Snake (Hemiapsis signata) which will have dark coloured ventrals – dark grey to black.
Just had to lift up the bucket and look underneath to confirm.

Blue

i play golf on the cental coast NSW

- - - Updated - - -

and when on here its unusual to find me SOBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lack of sobriety has never stopped me from identifying an unknown species in the past... although it may have slowed down the process somewhat. Do you have a final verdict on the identity of the snake in question?

I am uncertain as to the significance of the golf reference, other than vindication that you do spend some measure of time not under the influence of alcohol.

Blue

- - - Updated - - -

In the absence of any further information, I would say that there are in fact two pale stripes on the face of this snake. Its fairly robust build and short tail are consistent with it being a Marsh Snake rather than the more lightly built and longer tailed White Lipped Snake.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back