Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BHP1983

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on cross breeding snakes (jags)? My thought is that I don't like it at all. If this is ok than what's stopping me from breeding a roughie with a GTP? Or a black headed python with a woma?

Depending on your state cross breeding species such as that will result in the hatchlings being confiscated and euthanized.

You should not cross-breed any species of Snake or Lizard, it's not right for us to interfere with nature, by cross-breeding or designing animals based of their colour and marking.
Just so we can sell them for more money, leave them the way they were meant to be, just like they are found out in the wild.

IMO us humans are just to greedy for what we want, and don't care what is around in the future once where gone, and future kids won't get to see and enjoy what we have been lucky to see in our life.

Can't stop other people from doing whatever they want so why dwell on it.
Don't like it, don't do it is pretty simple, as for others - not worth wasting my time contemplating...

I'm in QLD so it's illegal here but I have never heard of anyone having their hatchies confiscated and euthanized even when they advertise as a cross species or jag. It makes you wonder where the line in the sand is.

- - - Updated - - -

Not exactly dwelling on it arevenant. I was having a conversation with a mate and wanted to know other peoples thoughts on the matter. And thanks for your input, you must feel strongly about it if you responded.

You?re not going to get an even sided discussion on this topic on here. Anyone with a lot of experience who sits in the ?for? camp has either long left this forum or won?t be willing to voice their opinion for fear of being shouted down by the six month experts.

At the end of the day, the people doing it don?t care whether you agree with it or not. There are plenty of people who enjoy designer morphs just as there are plenty of people who prefer only pure animals and so there is a market for both.

Live and let live I say.

Thanks for your opinion saximus. I really don't mind if people don't agree with me or not. Just wanted to know peoples thoughts. The laws aren't enforced to stop people from doing it so it's a farce anyway, hence my thoughts on why others haven't cross bread other lines like aspidites. Or maybe they have? I don't have a fear of being shouted down by people new to the game that have such species because they look pretty, lol I defiantly won't be loosing sleep.

Your original post incorrectly compares two different groups. You should be specific about whether you are referring to inter-specific hybrids (mules/ligers/gtp-roughie) or intra-specific hybrids (corn/grapes/cats/dogs/humans)

Ok BigDaddyO I'm specifically talking about inter-specific. I'm not talking about running a goldfish over a coastal.

Ok BigDaddyO I'm specifically talking about inter-specific. I'm not talking about running a goldfish over a coastal.

I think my description was not clear. Intraspecific is hybrids between sub-species (coastal carpets x jungle carpet jag) and interspecific is hybrids between species (woma x BHP hydrids). Just clarifying.

I think my description was not clear. Intraspecific is hybrids between sub-species (coastal carpets x jungle carpet jag) and interspecific is hybrids between species (woma x BHP hydrids). Just clarifying.
No worries mate, my original post was more directed between sub species and just thinking why stop there? What's to stop people from breeding from the same family but different species (woma x BHP). Since authorities don't police and enforce current laws. In saying that I have never heard of a single animal being destroyed under these laws. Please let me know if you have heard of one.

There have been a couple of pretty big stories both in your neck of the woods and in SA where well-known breeders had animals taken and destroyed. One infamous one had produced Warpets (Water Python x Carpet) which, if you take the emotion out of it, is fairly impressive considering they're not even the same genus. Others had Bredli Jags which are considered a species cross rather than a sub-species cross as is the case with Morelia spilota ssp Jags.

There are also rumours of BHP x Womas. I'm not experienced in the area at all but I would imagine size difference and the fact that they are reptile eaters would make pairings between those two a bit more tricky.

The Neuro in jags is bad enough, imagine the problems these BHPXWoma's would have? or the problems any other cross bred animal could potentially have.

One infamous one had produced Warpets (Water Python x Carpet) which, if you take the emotion out of it, is fairly impressive considering they're not even the same genus. Others had Bredli Jags which are considered a species cross rather than a sub-species cross as is the case with Morelia spilota ssp Jags.

There are also rumours of BHP x Womas. I'm not experienced in the area at all but I would imagine size difference and the fact that they are reptile eaters would make pairings between those two a bit more tricky.
I wonder how many animals were killed/eaten in the process of trying to mate these sp. together

Thanks for that saximus as I was unaware of that, It's quite interesting to hear about it. Yeh I'm not sure how the aspidites would go either but I do agree with allthingsreptile with the neuro problems that are evident with jags, I don't see a future in the cross breeding but do know that it takes place. It seems that money has priority to the animals welfare in the search of a "beautiful" looking snake which worries me. Especially newbies that think they are going to get rich breeding snakes not knowing the money and hours you have to pour into it.

I'm against it. We screw around too much these days with nature often resulting in bad trade offs. I'm curious, is there any benefit to cross breeding other than an increasing financial gain. I'm not against selling for financial reward but when done ethically.

I'm against it. We screw around too much these days with nature often resulting in bad trade offs. I'm curious, is there any benefit to cross breeding other than an increasing financial gain. I'm not against selling for financial reward but when done ethically.
I agree with you, I think the idea is trying to produce animals with more colour and or more unique markings, or maybe it's to sell a unique animal that no one has. I think you can't go wrong with a pure animal that has been bred for their own colours and markings enhanced and if you make enough through breeding to cover costs and got enough left over for a carton of beer well I'd be cheering lol. I never got into this hobby for the $$$ but have found that a large number of people have.

I think you can't go wrong with a pure animal that has been bred for their own colours and markings enhanced...
That is a similar process that people that cross breed ssp.

As for screwing around with nature comment by the apprenticegnome, the albino was wild caught. That's right, it naturally occurred. As soon as you take that animal out of the wild, put it in a box and select which animal it will mate with, you are "screwing around with nature"

BHP1983 said:
...I don't see a future in the cross breeding...
Personally, I think it is quite the opposite.
As new morphs arrive (yes I said it that way intentionally) or appear, they will be selectively bred with other ssp to breed in particular traits, whether it be colour, pattern etc.

The fight about jags can go on forever and a day.

I'll leave you with a picture of one of my jags and one of my horrid Diamond x Jungles..

Resized.jpg
2014-07-21_10-18-36.jpg

Thanks,
Shaun.

I see your point Sean but it's interpreting what I have said out of context. I am against the non naturally occurring crossbreeds.

I also see your point Shaun but I actually like the albino trait because it is naturally occurring. As for your watered down snake.... Well I'm sure it looks good and I'm sure you love it. Thanks for your input anyway mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back