Thoughts on feeding frozen crickets and woodies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehehe. Freeze your crickets mate, go all out and even put them in freezer bags. :D or just leave them outside. At -13° where you live, they'll be frozen anyway. ;)

Either way, Blueys and pink tongues are happily going to eat frozen/thawed garden snails, dead or alive. So "freezing" them at -20 or, if you like, refrigerating them at zero makes no difference at all.

It makes the difference between being frozen or not frozen (refrigerated), which makes the difference between being dead or alive.

I don't know about you, but to me, the difference between dead and not dead is very significant. Even frozen vs. refrigerated is a very big difference, but certainly dead vs. alive.

Snails absolutely can not survive being frozen. Neither can reptiles, but a snake would survive the process you wrongly call freezing, because they wouldn't actually freeze.

It makes the difference between being frozen or not frozen (refrigerated), which makes the difference between being dead or alive.

I don't know about you, but to me, the difference between dead and not dead is very significant. Even frozen vs. refrigerated is a very big difference, but certainly dead vs. alive.

Snails absolutely can not survive being frozen. Neither can reptiles, but a snake would survive the process you wrongly call freezing, because they wouldn't actually freeze.
Hey man, it's currently 8° here and my feet are FREEZING. Make of that what you will.

Hey man, it's currently 8° here and my feet are FREEZING. Make of that what you will. :D

Everyone knows what you mean when you say that, you are speaking in a colourful, colloquial way, and no one thinks your feet are actually literally freezing.

If someone says "You can put snails in a freezer, freeze them, then thaw them and they come back to life", and they don't know you're stupid, they will think you actually can put snails in a freezer, freeze them, and when thawed they will come back to life. Either way, they will certainly assume that you are literally making the claim, which our friend here obviously was, and has found an excuse to back peddle on.

Big difference between clearly speaking slang and being universally interpreted as speaking literally. One delivers an accurate message, the other completely misleads people. Make of that what you will :)

You can put them literally in a freezer at zero and essentially freeze them and when required, bring them out of their frozen state... You can go on an on and on until the earth freezes over. I care not. My freezer is at zero, my snails are as good as frozen. They're fresh, alive and tasty when allowed to warm again. So... are you going to change my opinion, mind, view?? No. But I find your rants enjoyable nonetheless.

my food doesnt taste nice after its frozen :(

The following is an excerpt from your original post with a relevant phrase bolded.

… For people that keep pink tongue or blue tongue skinks that collect their own garden snails, you can freeze them solid in the freezer if you collect a heap after rain during the warmer months and want to keep some on hand for when they're scarce. Upon thawing out, they will come back to life and be as fresh as the day you popped them in the freezer. I regularly collect and freeze garden snails for a lady that lives at the Gold Coast who comes and collects them every few months for her pink tongues. By the time she's arrived back at the coast, they're all cruising around the container again.
I have one direct question that will clarify the following conversations. I would appreciate a direct answer:

Were the bodies of the snails mentioned above actually frozen solid? (Note that if they were and you were to hit them with a hammer or brick, their contents would shatter like glass and not simply squash.)
Or perhaps you have never really inspected them that closely to determine if they went solid?

I regularly buy frozen insects for my monitors. It was pretty quick to get them eating insects dead using tong feeding. At least 80% of mine will readily eat them either via tongs or simply placed in a bowl (with a little training). For me they are a pretty good source of extra feed and greatly reduce my reliance on live insects as I can never sustain colonies long with the amount of monitors I keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back