Thunderstorm

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bigguy, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigguy

bigguy Very Well-Known Member

Just took my weekly load of snake rubbish to the Wyee tip and on the way home we could see some of the most intense thunderstorm clouds I have ever seen rolling in over Gosford.

As I got out of the car in the driveway all you could hear was a continual roar coming from the sky. It sounded like a giant airconditioner was on in the sky. I have never heard anything like it. Every now and then you could also hear the distant rumbling of thunder as well. Just had time to close the sheds and bring the dogs in when the lightning and thunder struck. A few minutes later, some of the biggest hailstones I have ever seen started smashing into the yard. It sounded like someone was throwing bricks onto the roof. The average size was like a golf ball, but some monsters were easily as big as tenis balls.

Only lasted 5 mintes then moved on. I can still hear the thunder rumbling in the distance. Anyone else on the Central Coast get hit by it???

2. moosenoose

moosenoose Legendary

Sounds cool :D Nothing I like more than a thunderous storm :twisted: ......Although the hail is something I can do without! :wink:

3. farmdog

farmdog Very Well-Known Member

we never get that stuff

4. mblissett

mblissett Well-Known Member

OMG..... that storm was the worst.....

We live in Lidcombe..... I have a glass ourdoor table which is now in half from a hail stone......

big mothers they were

The rain was just insane !!!

5. Already_Gone

Already_Gone Well-Known Member

I wish we could get storms like that... they are awesome...

6. ether

ether Very Well-Known Member

yeh it got pretty hectic over here, really intense storm. Do the herps react to it at all? I no that my cats do. They were bricking it!!

7. sxereturn

sxereturn Very Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Thunderstorm

How long have you being in QLD for? In the 18 years I was there, we had 3-4 major storms. In 1996, it was the worst...constant storms and torrential rain for a whole week, floods everywhere...

8. trader

trader Very Well-Known Member

Well, last Friday when the humidity got REALLY high in Melbourne, and the thunder began our turtles began to literally run up the ramp, out of the pond over to the brick wall of our fernery, then over to the the rocks, climb up the falls and jump in the water to climb right back out again, climb up the rocks of the falls, (again) land back in the water. Or up the steps to the house, over and over again. This went on for a good hour at least, I was amazed watching them move so fast!!! All 3 of them!

I sure was wondering why they were reacting that way??? Anyone else have that happen before?? Craig Latta may have the answer??

Cheers, Judy

9. womas4me

womas4me Very Well-Known Member

high humidity gets herps moving

10. sxereturn

sxereturn Very Well-Known Member

Thunderstorms = crocodile orgy.

11. Already_Gone

Already_Gone Well-Known Member

Yeah, we dont get it often enough... the biggest hail I have ever seen is about the size of medium grapes. I love the rain and if it rained for 3 months Id still want more. I like watching my outdoor setting flying across the backyard and the trees almost paralell to the ground!!!

12. dobermanmick

dobermanmick Very Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Thunderstorm

We do get storms up here AG
    But i find that where my dad lives in Caboolture gets a lot more hail and severe storms then we do.
    They seem to go around us The worst hail i have had was when we were living in Morayfield, The stones were the size of golf balls some even got to the size of tennis balls .
    It was in 96 too Sxe I remmember because thats when my first daughter was born and she slept right Through it !
    They had to replace half the roof sheets on the house because it had dented and cracked in some places and would then leak and rust eventually .

Anyone from Darwin ?

13. keelow

keelow Active Member

Was that from Cyclone Justin?

I was in Gladstone during that and we had almost 6 metre tides.

14. bigguy

bigguy Very Well-Known Member

Well the wife bought the other car home and wow, what a mess. Broken windscreen, and nearly 500 dings on the roof, bonnet and every side panel. The insurance companies must be overwelmed with calls after that storm. I heard on the local radio thousands of cars were damaged.

15. AGAMIDAE

AGAMIDAE Suspended Banned

we're had a cracker of a storm just go past... I love summer storms

16. angelrose

angelrose Very Well-Known Member

I love storms too, in melb last night a thunder rolled so big for so long it shook the ground and measured on the richter scale (im not sure where) but is was pretty awesome, it woke me up. It has stopped raining yet and the winds are awesome, the dogs, fraidy cats, are in bed with joe as its too cold for them outside tongiht. Aparently it was the coldest feb day in history in melb today. but i tell you it was welcome after the week of 38 degree days.

Angel

17. Hickson

Hickson Almost Legendary

Re: RE: Re: RE: Thunderstorm

I was on the M5 in Sydney when it hit, so couldn't get out of it. I thought those hailstones were gonna come through the roof! It's a work vehicle, so not worried about all the craters on the roof. In Bexley, a flashflood appeared at an intersection and motorists that got stuck in it had to escape their cars by climbing out the windows or roof!

:p

Hix

18. Tim

Tim Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Thunderstorm

Yeah I got nailed by the storm as well...As I was coming home on the train they announced the train would be terminating at Gosford because the lines were down ahead of there. So I get off there and ring Dad who works in Gosford and was just about to leave to go home - he just happened to of taken my beamer to work today - a car which i'm just about to SELL mind you - so he turns up and it has dings all over it, it's a convertible so don't have to worry about the roof but the bonnet, boot and sides were all damaged.

To put the nail in the coffin when I get home after all that to go on the internet I find my modem has been fried in the storm - last night was NOT my night.

19. MichaelJaynes

MichaelJaynes Active Member

the thunder was so close and loud it was shaking the windows in the house

20. ozherpconservation

ozherpconservation Active Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Thunderstorm

Yeah, and I was in the middle of Mt Glorious herping. The storm came a little earlier than I expected, I could barely see what was in front of me, the rain was so heavy and strong wind was blowing leaves and branches all over the place. It brought the reptiles out onto the road though (looking for shelter maybe?). During the heavy rain (on my way home) I moved a Carpet Python and a heap of Small-eyed Snakes and Burtons legless Lizards off the road.

Daniel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.