Tiliqua Rugosa - General Tips.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndahh

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, today I went to get me a turtle.. and i saw that the pet store had one shingleback in the enclosure and I have been searching EVERYWHERE for this shingleback. Luckily the guy had it on lay-by for months and apparently he never showed. So there it was, this little juvi shingleback sitting in the enclosure all by himself. And I said to myself I HAVE TO GET HIM. And i did and I couldn't be more happier.
Just wanted to share, I'm overjoyed. He had a bite or two to eat a sip of water and then he went into the hide to sleep.
Anyone has some general tips on Shinglebacks? I'd love to hear.

xogsjp.jpg

10 months Old and his a big baby !

I only put water in every second day or so, and I tend to feed them a day of fruit/veg, then meat (roo, or mince with reptile supplement, or pinkies etc) and fruit/veg the next day. I've found that if I feed them meat too often they don't eat their veggies. I also chuck some roaches in every few days as well.

I love shinglebacks, and yours is a little beauty!!!

Also when it sheds, keep an eye on its feet/toes etc.

what a cutie, i love shinglebacks!!

i offer diluted juice by syringe every few days rather than leave a waterbowl in with mine.

apparently studies done on wild shingles show theyre 93% vego, so i try and base their diet around that.

and apparently their lifespan is around 35 years!!!!! :p

Go easy on the proteins mine used to like a bit of banana and lettuce mixed with raw egg , yes also watch the humidity , other than that very hardy Great lizards.

i am a HUGE fan of the shingleback :D
My shingleback is names JubJub and he is the bomb :)
However, he refuses to eat fruit and veg and i have to hide it in the foods he does like. He loves canned silk worms.
I live in W.A. so we dont have a high humidity level here, so i keep a small dish of water in the coldest part of his cage away from his heat and hides. He drinks everyday
But each to their own with regards to that.
Have fun with your shingle, they are like dogs but with scales ;)

IMG_0085 (2).jpg
^ JubJub

i am a HUGE fan of the shingleback :D
My shingleback is names JubJub and he is the bomb :)
However, he refuses to eat fruit and veg and i have to hide it in the foods he does like. He loves canned silk worms.
I live in W.A. so we dont have a high humidity level here, so i keep a small dish of water in the coldest part of his cage away from his heat and hides. He drinks everyday
But each to their own with regards to that.
Have fun with your shingle, they are like dogs but with scales ;)

View attachment 261509
^ JubJub

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...that's probably the most attractive shingleback I've ever seen!

no no, JubJub is no hybrid. He's just a sexy little shingle through and through ;)

IMG_0187 (2).jpg IMG_0007.jpg

Last edited:
I am so jealous. I have been wanting and looking for years. All the ones I find say no freight :( Congrats

Picking mine up this weekend! :D so excited. In for more info!

Haha mines sleeps all day, he moves around for around 30 - 40 minutes of the day and the rest is in his hide or under the heat lamp. Im feeding him cat food and i cut him up, banana, tomato, grated carrot, some leafy greens some broccoli, a little sweet potato, a little bit of peas, i put in one for two mealworms and some bokchoy. He has urinated on my brother and on my partner (not to me just yet, I'm hoping he likes me enough). Im in VIC, and the weather isn't hot here I'm not sure about how humid it is but I'd think its relatively low. I had to shingleproof the enclosure has he was kinda getting stuck everywhere and i relised my rock was too big for him to climb on top of it.

And your shingle is beautiful, I'm going to hunt for a partner for Toppy (Short for Topez the golden gem :D) and i want it to be a very different colour'ed shingleback. I have no idea of the sex though and don't know what i'd be looking for. I heard matching shingles should be done younger since you wana make sure the shingle you buy does not have any previous partners.

Last edited:
u can easily match adults to,not sure whom mentioned its better to match juvies

yes in the wild they seem to pr up over many years,but if thefemale dies,the male trys to find another partner,somemales even cover multiple females,also why do they eat mostly vegetationin the wild,look at where they are from,if they dont eat it they perish,itscalled survival,doesnt mean you have to mimick that in captivity

theres 4 subspecies of shingleback,so if pairing up different looking ones,try to keep the same subspecies,they are quite variable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back