tips for handling gippsland water dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haydenvic

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i have 2 gippsland water dragons and need some tips on handling them as they are really skitish they freak out when i open their tank and when i do have them out all they seem to do is run. can anyone give me tips on how to calm them down enough to handle them better??

With my eastern I started with short rubs under the chin. 2 secs max (if she was willing). Slowly I increased the length of rubs. Also try just touching them ( rest a finger gentle on say an arm or leg) Then take your hand away. They will realise that you aren't a threat eventually.

over the course of the day introduce a few crickets feeding by hand and then touching the dragon on the back very slowly and dont make any sudden movements. they will eventually think you are safe

I wouldnt call Water Dragons very 'handleable'. They are more pit animals but they can be tamed pretty well, just times alot of time.

Oh sheez.. thats not good! I didnt know that.. On second thoughts DONT put them on thier back!

They have very limited muscle between their lungs and ribs and putting them on their back can make them pass out or go unconscious.

thats cool is that you?? ive seen that vid a few times.
no its not me, but i do wish my ewd was that tame, mine sounds like yours and ive been trying to tame him for about 6 months now, hes getting better but its taking a long time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back