Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my 1st snake home and she is beautiful, My sons just want to hold her, she is very easy to handle, I'm glad as I was worried how I would go with my 1st. I need not have worried so far so good. The breeder I got her from isn't far from me so if I have any problems I can ring her. I uploaded a pic hope it turns out ok.

"Quote: on another note findout where your nearest herp vet is in some cases it could be several hrs away.
also herp vets are much more expensive then normal vets are you prepared to pay these bills if need be??"

Being a vet nurse myself I think this advice is excellent. I pay for a good exotics vet for my girl and am very happy doing so.

Hi all, a newbie question re handling of a new python... We brought our new 3yo diamond python 'Shulgin' home over the weekend and all my 10yo daughter wants to do is have him out and handle him. He's been fed and (largely) left alone in his enclosure for the last couple of days, but appeared fairly defensive when a hand was put into the enclosure a day or so after he was fed. I figure this is because a) he's still digesting his food; and b) he needs to get accustomed to his new environment and wants to be left the hell alone :)

Questions are: for a snake that handles well (this one did for me while in the company of the breeder I bought him from), can one just pop your arm into the enclosure and pick up the snake [I've only owned lizards in the past, so this is what I'm used to being able to do] or do you need to use one of those hook thingies?

Also, what can one do to stop a python constricting if they're (for example) wrapped around a child's neck? Is there a trick to make them let go??

Thanks,

P

You should probably leave the snake alone for a few weeks whilst it gets used to its new enclosure.
You'll find in a few weeks that it'll be a lot easier to handle then. If not I would check out your husbandry.
If your still having troubles i would get a snake hook just to get him out.

Don't ever put it on a child's neck.
I'd blow on my snakes face if its constricting (hardly ever happens) if it bites and won't let go place it under water.

Thanks Jannico, yeah I've not deliberately put the snake around my daughter's neck, but when she was handling him on the weekend and he was busy winding himself around her arms and such, he ended up around her shoulders and neck and through her hair pretty quickly. This wasn't a drama as he didn't constrict, but worried me because if he did, I wouldn't know what to do to unwind him... I'll keep the blow-in-the-face thing in mind.

Shulgin seems to have found a nice cozy spot to hide up on top of his enclosure - if you can imagine a 4ft aquarium setup with the timber cupboards below and timber hood on top - the top of the actual tank has a glass plate in the middle and is open on either side for air flow. The lights sit under the hood and the hood sits on top of the tank. Well he's taken to hiding up on top of this top glass plate up under the hood now. Little bugger, there's no way of getting him out of there without dismantling the whole thing! No choice but to leave him be to come out when he's ready :)

My first python was a stimsoni, i found i was able to look after it quite well with minimal knowledge about how to take care of them and i went from that to breeding both jungle and carpet pythons just by friends advise. So my words of wisdome is that you will never know unless you ask the people that know.

Hi

Hi sorry I am new to this site and just want to know how to create a new thread thanks in advance 

Hi sorry I am new to this site and just want to know how to create a new thread thanks in advance 

Click on 'Forum' second from the left in the darker green bar along the top, then read through the different headings from top to bottom, decide which category your thread falls into - maybe 'Introductions' or 'General Discussion' or whatever, then click on +Post New Thread at the upper left of the screen.

Few points
1. dont be afraid to use things from down the park like bark or branches, just make sure that they are clean.
2.Mothernature always like to interveen so make sure your snakes dont cook or freeze when you are otherwise preoccupied.
3. natural sunlight IS best so dont hesitate to warm up in the sun with your favourite Herp.

might have more later

Another newbie question...

Hi All,

I finally after 12 months of prep. Got a costal carpet. A 3 yr old male.. He is extremely placid. I fed him today, he got my finger instead of the mouse lol.. doesnt bother me though, he let go, then grabbed the mouse...

Just wondering, how long do I leave him after feeding before I can comfortably handle him again? Every time he see's me walk past his tank he comes out of his rock and slides around the enclosure door. If i open the door he comes out to me, but I dont want to handle him if Im not supposed to yet.

Thanks
Ash

Thanks for the great information and advice

Hi,

I have had my diamond for a month now and he is a joy, Very easy to handle and a good eater.

I did quite a bit of research before getting him and feel he is in a good environment but still have questions that I am still looking things up as and when things arise.

A couple of questions I would like clarified.

1. Regarding handling, Is it better to handle them at certain times of the day? either when they are cooler or warmer?

2.What is the average amount of time snakes will usually stay in their hiding place for? He is often in his hiding area and I get concerned it is because he is distressed for some reason.

3. I was informed that I should have a heat mat at one end of the vivarium and a light/heat source at the other end. The heat mat currently stays on all the time with his hiding rock on top. and the light/heat source turns off at night. Is this amount of heat correct as I am concerned he may be exposed to to much heat.

I would like to put a branch into my enclosure, should I buy one from the pet shop or get one myself and clean it. I would use a eucalyptus branch if I got my own, I have read that you need to soak it in a water and bleach mix, rinse it thoroughly, put it in the oven (although all the temps and times for putting in the oven I have read have all been different) and then it should be fine? Some advice would be fantastic. If getting one from the pet shop is a better idea please let me know, they seem pretty pricey but I would rather spend the money than put my little sweetheart at risk.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Daniel I used real tree branches for my Jungle's enclosure. I stripped all of the bark off and did the bleach and water thing but didn't use an oven. I just let it air dry. He has been in there for a couple of years now and it's fine.
Alternatively if you won't mind something a little more boring you can use dowel. They are clean and much cheaper than pet shop bought "branches"

Might not be the best as they won't soak up any liquid from defecation or spilled water bowls. So your friend would be able to slither through it if you don't clean it up straight away

Latest posts

Back