Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something temporary like a power outage is no cause for alarm. If it were to stretch into days and your python has a full stomach you may need to consider other alternatives like taking it outside etc. But a few hours will be fine.

I should also say that if you were to take a reptile outside to leave it in full sun in something like a click clack will ultimately kill it quite fast. Providing it with a shaded area is a must in these circumstances.

Guys, I picked up my yearling Jungle last Saturday (she is about 16 months old), she ate 2 weaner mice that day. How long should it be before she has a crap?

When handling my coastal, I can control her pretty well when she is on the lower part of my arms or moving from one hand to another. However, when she moves up my arm and shoulder and her head gets out of my vision I am a bit unsure how to move her without distressing her too much or grabbing her in the wrong spot. Any handling tips would be appreciated. She is about 1m long and is pretty docile but a bit flighty.

Hi Chris D, my coastal usually takes around a week to pass her food. Sometimes a little quicker, sometimes a few days longer. She always craps after a shed.

You could just try directing her so she doesn't go up there? If that fails just twist your arms around and try to get her head into your view. The flighty ones tend to be most scared of things touching them that they aren't expecting so really try to avoid letting her raise her head up into something like a sleeve or your arm.

Thanks for that, I don't generally let her go up there but she can be pretty quick and persistent with where she wants to go. Thanks again.

This is already mentioned amongst this thread but for the animals who have lazy owners I am going to put this one out again....
Yes its still very cold at the moment but spring/summer is just around the corner. The Number One Killer of animals is heat exhaustion. Now is probably a good time to start researching for summer precautions and get yourself into the habit of checking your thermostats regularly - more than once a week - to make sure they are working. Overheated enclosures is usually caused by thermostats failing, leaving heat sources glowing at their maximum output. You will be very disheartened to come home from work in the afternoon to find your snake, lizard, or any pet, dead because their enclosure was too hot. Over summer it probably wouldn't hurt to cut down the power wattage to just enough to give the temps they need, or to re-adjust heating that isn't on thermostats to turn off during the hottest parts of the day. Check their water everyday and be sure its in their cool end.

Symptoms to watch out for, in overheating is prolonged soaking in their water, constantly at the cool end or even pinned hard against the furthest point from the heat source.

If you put your animals outside for sun, or have them living outdoors be sure they have plenty of adequate shade. A towel over them isn't good enough. They need a cool, shaded spot where they can retreat to away from the scorching sun. Or better still, chose the days, and the time of the day wisely and don't put them outside when the temperatures are already soaring. I learnt this one when my snakes kept crawling up my legs when I popped them down on the grass. My olives, carpets, didn't matter if they were the crankiest and hated me, if that ground is hot, they will want to get away from it, and crawling up your legs was cooler than the grass was.

If you find your animal in distress from the heat you need to act immediately to cool them. Remove them from the danger. Syringe some cool water down their necks, cool baths, and turning off their heat and allowing their enclosures to cool before you put them back in. Changing the bedding might be necessary if it has become too hot, and change their water. Place them in a tub in the coolest part of your house in a low traffic area to recover. When you see them recovering they can go back to their enclosures.

** REMEMBER ppl on this forum can offer all the advice in the world but you should never wait for replies to treat your pet. Seek veterinary attention. Nobody here can tell how bad your friend is, so if don't already know how to treat something, seek veterinary advice immediately.

Last edited:
Haha thanks Mark. I am not saying nobody here knows as good as a vet, but stuff sitting at the computer waiting for replies while my pet dies.....not gonna happen. Vet first, APS later. But if you really want to avoid the cost of a vet, then you don't wait till something happens before you decide its time to find out about it. Research NOW, you might have a fair idea if and when trouble does strike.

i would say that common sense is also key, and dont believe every single thing your read on forums
your much better off asking a vet or a breeder(the one u got your snake off is best bet for you)
or someone with QUALIFICATIONS! sure u can ask a lot of things on here but the fact is if its serious or
something very close to your heart then seek QUALIFIED advice
but the number one thing i can advise is this

have fun with your snake and stop worrieing! snakes are very tough animals
enjoy it, read some books learn to "read" your animals and start saving cash cause once u get one u cant stop :)

Nato

i'm trying to find a snake breeder/keeper in my local area of Port Macquarie NSW as i am new and trying to do some research into owning snakes. i feel like maybe a carpet or children's python might be the ideal, as i've heard that cornsnakes are ideal but illegal in Australia. been researching for a few weeks now, and am keen to do some hands on to determine my capabilities in handling snakes.

any suggestions/extra info is welcome, including needing/obtaining permits (govt websites are useless, as is imigration?) as is any possible leads to breeders/owners in my local area. thanks.

On Friday evening, 7pm at Lions Club Hall, Hastings River Drive, PORT MACQUARIE, there is a Herpetology Meeting where you will meet lots of snake breeders. The meetings are held monthly, first Friday every month.

wow this thread is awesome i am a newbie and all this information have pretty much removed my fears/worries about keeping a snake..
ta all i say thankyou

My snake bit herself

Last night when feeding my coastal python she missed the rat and bit herself, she held on for a while and then let go. Is there anything I should be worried about. She seems ok, there was a small puncture of her skin and a small amount of blood (a drop or two).

Buying a snake

i need help, i want to get a snake but im not too sure what would be a nice snake to own, does anyone know of any good pythons to have as a pet that would grow medium to largely sized

Back