to all ackie breeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloomster

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering from the moment female ackie gets restless how long before ppl have noticed egg laying??
My female cannot stop pacing enclosure and has never done this previously.
pretty sure she is gravid.

all info appreciated thanks

Bloomers

When she is getting ready to lay her eggs she will start to dig test holes around the around enclosure. She would then normally drop her eggs within a week of doing this, in fact it is normally only a few days.

i find my females are actually much lazier when they are gravid. i notice they bask alot and pretty much sleep. just before the lay, a few days before they dig test holes and then u know they will lay soon :)

also if u dont have a lay box she could be stressed

she has a lay box.
it is the same setup she has bred in before 3times, not by me, or i wouldnt ask :)
she generally doesnt come out or just spends her time basking, dissapears when i walk in :) but now she basks for 5mins, paces for 5 mins, so on so on

I wouldn't be overly concerned, just make sure temps are correct, she has food if she wants it and that the lay box is in the right area so she gets a nice gradient to choose for laying her eggs and that it is kept moist.

When I was breeding them, it was almost always about 2 days after they stopped eating. They would usually be restless and dig test burrows for around a week before laying. If they can't a spot to lay that they are happy with they can hold on for longer, but it sounds like you have that well sorted so hopefully you should find a nice surprise in the next few days.

They often look shocking after laying (I think mainly due to the amount of body fluid they put into the eggs). Make sure you give her a good drink after laying and continue to feed her well over the next couple of weeks, so she can recover some condition.

varanophile comments are the same as i would have said,another important thing to remember is to supplement the female leading up to egg laying,and feed her as much as she will eat,they lose alot of calcium when developing eggs and alot of condition,and if undernourished und low calcium levels,its hard to get them to put condition back on after laying,they often lay multiple clutches,roughly a month apart so require alot of food,my females used to hog food when cycling,be the dominate feeders,when laying gets close they generally reduce there feeding,good luck with yours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back