Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's cool to think of ways to come up with exercises for your pets! Brilliant idea! I do wonder though,....if anyone could share...what kind of exercise routines have u planned for your lil pets?

Yes they are to fat (the females), a lot of people feed there frogs heaps of pinkies, this is only okay as a treat because they contain too much fat and aren't really a part of the frogs natural prey, crickets are probably the best food to reduce there size a bit. Obese reptiles (and probably frogs) don't tend to live as long as those that are average weight. However I have no evidence this is JMO.
And nice set up you got there, the fish look great.
Jordo

Pinkies have nothing to do with it.
I have 5 males GTF's, two are fat, one is plump and two are lean. they all get the same diet of roaches, roaches and roaches.
Each frog is diferent and some will eat more than others and some will exercise more than others.
Mine get fed about twice a week, yet 2 of them would be approaching the size of that female.

How do you regulate humidity?
i have 60 w purple night globe over the top of exoterra tanks and a large bowl of water in the bottom in the summer i turn off the light and also i keep the tanks near windows
one question....what is the average life span of a green tree frog?
im told 25 years but im thinking it could be longer,ive had my males for close to 14 years and they look pretty fit
Yes they are to fat (the females), a lot of people feed there frogs heaps of pinkies,
my males get mice every 2 to 3 months,the rest of the time its crix and whatever inverts i can catch in the mothtrap

was told flys are great for exersize.
yes i give moths and huntsmans(sorry nome) for exersize

mostly they just scare the fish,they dont swim after them ,sometimes they will throw them selves against the water bowl in reaction to sudden fishy movements,they are usually well fed enough not to worry about eating them

I have 5 males GTF's, two are fat, one is plump and two are lean. they all get the same diet of roaches, roaches and roaches.
Each frog is diferent and some will eat more than others and some will exercise more than others.
Mine get fed about twice a week, yet 2 of them would be approaching the size of that female.
thanks for that magpie,do you think this would be a hereditary/metabolic thing??

im worried about that to raptor,or vica versa,the males actively would hunt down an adult mouse and eat it,im going to wait at least 2 weeks before intoducing them and even then im going to have them separated by glass,so they can watch each other eat and get used to each other,then ill be watching them like a hawk,,hopefully nobody will get eaten

I reckon you could take those 2 frogs down to weight watchers & get a group discount !! :lol:
Atleast no-one can say they arent well fed :wink:

If the females could fit the males in their maouth, i would not put them in together.
I would not worry too much about the males eating the females, I've seen mine grab each others heads before when one has had a roach in it's mouth. They spit it back out soon enough ;)

happens here all the time to , i pmsl when it does to,
they are all roughly the same size so the worst they could do is probably give each other a nasty suck
baz
im keeping them in seperate clear containers in case the new ones might be carrying something mostly..
ill photograph the introduction to

As I said just my opinion.

my males get mice every 2 to 3 months
I'm talking about specific cases I have seen where frogs are feed mostly on pinkies, the occasional treat is OK though.

where do i start.

The "fat frogs" in question are magnificent green tree frogs (litoria splendida) not green tree frogs (Litoria caerulea)

they are meant to look like that.

females are naturally heavier than males in this species.

i would say that their stomache is looking a little over sized, and a light diet may be in order, but they look pretty healthy all round.

mag_tree_frog07.jpg

i've been in frogs for a while chief. they are definatly litoria splendida.

if someone sold these to you as standard GTFs, the need a kick up the a$$.

and yes. definatly don't breed the two species together.

I disagree aztec, the spots are white, the thighs and hands are not yellow.
What makes you sure it's a splendida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back