To Shed or Not to Shed ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eriquar

Reaction score
Hi just after some advice.
There are probably stickys about shedding, but I have no idea how to access them.

Please hold off on the flamage!

Stimson python's eyes went cloudy n blue around a week ago, eyes are clear now ( i know this bit is normal)

I thought I saw saggy skin around his neck and under chin, however he doesn't appear to be in shed mode, unless he is just getting himself organised.

Today he decided to go behind his hot end hide, and has been there most of the day. The temp is roughly 33C average, the cooler end is between 28 - 31C, I noticed he has a couple of drinks of water, but not gotten into the waterdish, which is large enough to accommodate him.

My questions are............... Is this normal? Is he going to shed? He normally gets fed Wed arvo - will I offer him food? Am I doing something wrong?

I am open to advice and suggestions please.

Sounds like normal behaviour to me and he will shed in the next couple of days and also would not offer him food until after he has shed.

Also if your cool end gets up to 31 degrees with the hot end being 33 there isn't really a thermal gradient sufficient for your snake to thermoregulate.

My little spotted eats no matter what. He even ate the day before he shed.

Just sounds like normal behaviour, it can be up to 10 days or more after the eyes become clowdy for your Stimmy to shed, his skin won't go saggy unless there is some sort of problem, just make sure there is something rough in it's enclosure for it to rub it nose against and start the shedding process, don't worry about your stimmy not going into the water, they don't need to unless there are mites present, some sort or skin irratation or to help with thermoregulation, don't panic if it is a while before it sheds as they have been doing it for millions of years and i reckon by now they have got it down pat, after he/she has shed remove the shed from the enclosure and check that both eye caps have come away from it (will be seen as 2 clear bits in the head end of the shed) and just have a look to make sure the shed has all come away, if it retains any shed this can be removed by soaking in a warm bath or a damp wet rag........ i have added all this extra preamble as i think this OP is a newcomer and would appreciate the extra information. :) .............Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back