To the experienced ven keepers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jairusthevirus21

Reaction score
Well I figured it was about time i should post a thread for once, as i have a few questions that I would really appreciate answered.
So to all the ven keepers out there. I would love to hear your experiences and opinions about freehandling elapids. Since I have joined APS I have seen quite a few pics of freehandling elapids. I wanna hear from the keepers who happily do this and from the keepers that don't. And I would really love to hear about anyone who has managed to receive a bite from an Ven and what you experienced. And how bad experiences and 'close calls' have changed or not changed they way you work with vens.

thankyou in advance

Jairus

I cover all of this in my book Jairus. The subjects you have asked about require a fair bit of explanation.

cheers
Scott

I don't. For me it's about minimizing risk. I don't need to free handle , so I don't as a general rule. I even use hooks etc for my whip snakes even though they are not likely to do me any major harm. There is always the chance I would have an abnormal reaction to a bite from one and I'm not prepared to find out.

Never received a bite. Planning on never receiving one and taking the safest route possible ( for me at least). I always try and be as in control of the situation as possible.

Some people free handle so are obviously prepared to take the risk. I'm just not one of them.

I don't class tailing as free handling even though I rarely do that either. For larger specimens it can be a necessity.

I dont keep vens
But I relocate too many
Some I free handle if that is my safest option at the time
banded kraits in particular are much easier/safer to pick up than to hook usually
boigas go ballistic at first touch of a hook but unless over 2 metres can be handled safely
spitting cobras are hook/bag jobs every time
kings are 50/50
pit vipers are too unpredictable to free handle

In Aus I had a rbb that I free handled for years with no dramas ever
But I never tried to copy that with a pretty tame coastal taipan

Ive been tagged twice by wild vens
Both tags a long time ago
Both were dry bites
Havent given them anything like an easy chance since

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back