To those who like to kill on the side

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthling

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Out the Back of Queensland and a bit more

Why is it that I continually read the exploits of people who enjoy and keep snakes/herps and also condemn those who kill snakes, yet at the same time these same people, actively hold a gun in their hands and actively search for other species of animals to kill and then kill them?
These same people will spruik the usual dialogue of:
Snakes are part of our environment
Snakes have feelings too
Snakes are misunderstood

Of course these killers will usually promote the conservation value of their killing. If this conservation value is truly part of their belief system, then why is the most major destructive species on this planet not part of that argument and also killed by them? Humans are one of the most destructive species on the planet, yet the conservation argument suddenly becomes null and void.
Why?
Because we are better than another animal?
Surely you are not that arrogant...

Copied from Wiki:
‘According to a 1998 survey of 400 biologists conducted by New York's American Museum of Natural History, nearly 70 percent believed that they were currently in the early stages of a human-caused extinction,[30] known as the Holocene extinction. In that survey, the same proportion of respondents agreed with the prediction that up to 20 percent of all living populations could become extinct within 30 years (by 2028). Biologist E. O. Wilson estimated [5] in 2002 that if current rates of human destruction of the biosphere continue, one-half of all species of life on earth will be extinct in 100 years.[31] More significantly the rate of species extinctions at present is estimated at 100 to 1000 times "background" or average extinction rates in the evolutionary time scale of planet Earth.[32]

I argue that a species that causes this much destruction is not any ‘better’ than any other species. On the contrary it could be argued that IT IS WORSE if you used the ‘conservation’ argument that killers usually promote to justify their past times.

I spruik:
“Killing a snake is bad
A snake is an animal.
Therefore, killing an animal is bad.”

Earthlings who like to kill as an enjoyable past time and can still justify their killing, please reread the above, breath, relax and then tell me where my argument fails.

Dog food = animals killed by someone else because you dont have the balls to do it yourself.

Tined Catfood = someone who cant fish.

So your a vegetarian are you, you dont condone eating wild shot game? You obviously dont eat Beef or lamb because they are just too cute to kill.

I relish the yearly hunt to take 1 deer and we butcher it ourselves and share it between several families. We like to think of it as sustained feral culling.

........tell me where MY argument fails.

mate people dong hunt snakes or bandicoot's or 99,9% of native animals,
they hunt feral pigs and rabbits an foxes etc. etc. , come out of the city and see what damage these species have on the native species and the environment.......
thats my 2cents

i would like to shoot humans but theres laws against that. I dont get in trouble for killing other things.

the end result here is humans introduced pests, humans now hunt them for funsies.

im not really sure where you wanted to get with this thread?? obviously humans are the worse amimal for the environment but anybody could tell you that. is that all you were really trying to put out there? other than that im sure everyone else would like to kill humans too but like i said unfortunately this is illegal.

note sarcasm*

Last edited:
i would like to shoot humans but theres laws against that. I dont get in trouble for killing other things.

the end result here is humans introduced pests, humans now hunt them for funsies.

im not really sure where you wanted to get with this thread?? obviously humans are the worse amimal for the environment but anybody could tell you that. is that all you were really trying to put out there? other than that im sure everyone else would like to kill humans too but like i said unfortunately this is illegal.

How bizarre... I hope you don't live near me...

J

this is worrisome!

lol python beat me!

I agree I think people are generally only against killing snakes because it is their passion. I know I have been guilty of the same thinking. I think it might be one of those instinctual things that some people enjoy killing things.
Earthling are you a vegetarian by any chance? I am not against killing something for food and I don't personally kill things for pleasure but if that's what people want to do who am I (or you) to stop them? So long as it's not a prolonged death and it isn't a protected animal then I don't see the big issue

nathancl- or is that Ivan !!! i agree me too !!!

Earthling- Who got out of bed on the wrong side today -

Proud hunter and killer !!! shame on me

totally agree that humans are the species at fault here,the most destructive selfish species

i have no problem with people killing animals as long as it is for food! buying a steak and going out to shoot something for food are very much the same thing in my mind. if you shoot a kangaroo and eat it and still cry foul when someone shoots a snake for fun, i see no problem with that! it is the killing of animals that is just so they can say "hey look what i did!" that i feel is wrong! unless it is due to a culling of an out of control species. but hey each to their own!

the way i red this was that snake lovers are the 1st to jump and get angry when a snake is killed but are willing to kill another animal lovers animal, what if people started killing snake left right and center to eat?? is that what your trying to get at???

btw yes i love my meat, have killed a chicken,duck,cows sheep ect ect to eat them

It's natural selection.
Everything we do becomes natural, because we're part of the Earth, and it happens.
Houses are natural.
Computers are natural.
They're also made of natural resources.

I think people have a miserable view of the world. To say that humans are the most destructive species on earth you would also have to say they are the most constructive, Selfish? with the tsunamis, earthquakes and floods, I don't see selfishness but the human capacity for kindness and compassion, giving and lending a hand to those less fortunate. For every step back that I see humans take I'm sure there is a couple of steps forward. When the Earth can no longer sustain our habitation then maybe we will become extinct or maybe the human race will be culled back to a sustainable level by natural occurances, It's all part of the evolutionary process.
There are just as many negatives to not killing some animals as there is to killing them.

The condemnation for killing snakes stems from the fact that it's generally done out of fear due to lack of education or understanding of the animal, or pure maliciousness.
There are very few here who would condemn the killing of a snake if it posed a critical risk to another human being, but I'm sure even then they would like to see a less bloody resolution.

Those animals that are hunted are generally either: Destructive pests which are damaging the ecosystem, or game which is processed for food.

Killing just for the sake of killing, sure, but other than that I don't really see how the 2 are comparable.

I always love your threads and controversies Earthling. :D

I agree with you on most parts there Steve1, but I think many people would be surprised ( or maybe not? ) at some of the things people would do to their fellow humans in a survival situation. It may be all good and dandy helping others in a flood etc, but when it really came down to the boil of it, the ugly sides would appear in startling numbers.

That's why I like animals, they don't have the capacity to love something, then hate it in a second later if something doesn't go their way. They don't cheat, they don't lie, they aren't obsessed or controlled by this material figure we call money, they hunt to eat - not for fun, and their population stays in check and doesn't boom out of control (when human interference isn't involved - ie introduced species).

What I really dislike is that it's legal to hunt a miriad of animals ( or people go out and do it anyway even when it's not ) but the moment the tides turn and someone gets killed by say a crocodile or shark, majority of us are up in arms! Oh no this cannot be, we must take revenge on this single animal who was following it's instincts (and who knows, probably a few more along the way aswell!), how dare this creature that is millions of years our superiour put that minute dint in our population. :rolleyes:

I do believe in kindness of the human spirit, but there are just so, SO many that need to be put in check before this can even begin to flourish.

That's why I like animals, they don't have the capacity to love something, then hate it in a second later if something doesn't go their way. They don't cheat, they don't lie, they aren't obsessed or controlled by this material figure we call money, they hunt to eat - not for fun, and their population stays in check and doesn't boom out of control (when human interference isn't involved - ie introduced species).

Let's not forget: animals rape each other, indulge in cannibalism, eat their own young, eat their own excrement etc. etc. ;)

I don't think the animals would really class it as rape though, just a necessary act. I don't see any female animals hiding away and never coming out because they are mentally scarred by being bred with.

Also I don't believe cannibalism or eating young is that common? Maybe if the animals are already dead, very ill, the mother is too stressed or there is some upheaval happening? A healthy and stable mother or group of animals would rarely kill their own young.

As for eating their own excrement - I think alot of people would do this as well because they are apparently Gods gift to the Earth and their **** don't stink. :lol:

Last edited:
male stotes rape their own offspring before their eyes even open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back