Toads/ Enviroment! = our reptiles.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bredli-sli

Reaction score
so apparently the toads have made it to South Australia. or will soon to be.
my question is, what impact does this have on reptiles? and our other wild life?
as i don't think theirs much hope in stopping them!

has anyn one in the top end noticed an impact?

The first wave is pretty devastating on specific species. You will find though there will be a large number that aren't apparently affected.

Do you have a link to the toads being in SA? I heard something about a risk of down through flooding in western Queensland but that was it. They clean up most of the frog eating species (Stuff like quolls, panoptes, water monitors, freshys, adders, mulgas, red bellys etc) Species usually still occur after toads arrive, but are in lower numbers then before, some are affected more then others. No hope of stopping them either, they make great pets though. Impact on top end is very noticable, 5-10 years ago there were heaps of monitors, quolls, kingies, adders. Now there are a LOT less of these.

So what are the toads gonna do when the flood water dries up? Hop back to the tropics?

I remember when i was about 8 a crack pot tried the to hold the SA government to ransom and released a bunch of toads at Burra. I think they all got collected again.

I remember when i was about 8 a crack pot tried the to hold the SA government to ransom and released a bunch of toads at Burra. I think they all got collected again.
He was a nut job and it was a hoax. Burra offers nothing for any amphibian to survive in, its just dry, grassy hills.

You use to yabby in Burra Creek? Are you from here originally?

He was a nut job and it was a hoax. Burra offers nothing for any amphibian to survive in, its just dry, grassy hills.

I meant there isn't anywhere to sustain a large, viable toad population at Burra. But yes, there is a creek.

Nah cane toads live in very cold, arid parts of their natural range too. The tropical north of Australia was so good to them (with only one predator) that their population 'exploded'. I don't know if they would build up the same robust population along the Murray River, etc, if (when?) they get here.

I don't think SA is at risk of toads.

And SA is great for herps, especially Burra. There's pygmy bluetongues there!

-h

A adult Cane Toad was found in someones garden yesterday in the Perth Metro...

I don't think SA is at risk of toads.

And SA is great for herps, especially Burra. There's pygmy bluetongues there!

-h

Mate we have some great species, but the best species SA has to offer are rare. Thats why many southern herpers shift to a warmer climate.

i think it will be interesting if/when cane toads get to vic, i think they will also destroy pest species like foxes, it will suck on the reptile side of things, there arent many around atm anyway, add another problem, it'll get worse....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back