Toads killing off crocs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published: 18-Nov-08 12:31 PM
Source: AAP via NEWS.com.au

CANE toads have more than halved the number of freshwater crocodiles in some Northern Territory waterways, according to research.

Read More...

This is not good.

Its about time the government and everyone living in QLD get serious about trying to kill as many of these pests as possible.

We will have nothing left in a few decades if this continues.

Toxic Toads Killing Australian Crocs

Published: 19-Nov-08 02:45 AM
Source: Discovery News
Author: AFP

Invasive cane toads are killing alarming numbers of freshwater crocodiles in Australia.

Read More...

Will the rspca supply the freezer? It will have to be damn big!

I wonder if larger individuals show greater resistance to the toxins? If they do does anyone think it may have a similair effect on freshie size as with the rbb snakes? As in genes for smaller crocs being selected against. How severe a genetic bottleneck may this drastic selective force cause?

Not looking great over the long term at the moment.

There is a "pygmy" freshie population in the path of the toads that is not looking too flash. They are likely small because they live high on the escarpement with little food, so they'll take toads when they arrive. Very sad - we know bugger all about the population. There was one in Arneham Land too, and I don't know if anyone evens knows what happened to that population.

Yeah it is very sad. i really hope that research projects continue to recieve significant funding

isn't there an incentive for people to catch cane toads
like they did back in the day where rats were carrying the black plague
if not maybe the government should go to it $0.05 a toad might be good pocket money for the kids lol

i do know that the cane toad is poisonous but i don't think many people don't know that especially those that live with them

just a thourght

Unfortunately setting a monetary incentive for catching them will likely encourage people to breed them. A single female cane toad can lay up to 20 000 eggs in a spawning, at 5 cents a toad thats $1000, toad breeding would become fairly profitable for those who have the space and time, and while all these toad breedings are cashing in nothing will be done about the pests rapid acceleration across the country.

that doesn't really sound worth it to me its a bit far from easy money but then again i don't know how easy it is to breed toads

Just to think all this because 50 Canetoads were brought in to Australia to get rid of a few bugs!!!

How sad!!!!

Soon the only way we are gonna be a ble to see these beautiful creatures is by going to a zoo or keeping them ourselves. Bredding them and keeping them may be their only chance of survival!!!

I got this photo in an email the other day, heading said cane toad caught in NT, imagine the damage these mongrels are causing

Attachments

• CaneToad.JPG
    CaneToad.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 55
This is not good.

Its about time the government and everyone living in QLD get serious about trying to kill as many of these pests as possible.

We will have nothing left in a few decades if this continues.

I know, its frustrating driving along a spot where I know some of the rarer snakes are such as tigers (here on the sunshine coast) and the road is covered in toads, i kill any one I see, but doubt its making a difference, I would LOVE to meet the idiot that brought these in, to control a beetle that lives at the TOP of the Sugar Cane, cane toads are terrestrial f-wit. Plus they're poisinous so obviously going to be a dumb move!:evil:

Toads and idiots give me the sh****

God that pic of the massive cane toad isn't real is it? man thats just scarey!!!
I hate cane toads, those of you down south that don't have to deal with them on a daily basis are very lucky!!

yer we are lucky, I would be out killing them everynight if they where down here, thats what I did in qld. they are found 1 hour north of where I am every now and then, down here it is pretty rare though, havnt seen one here yet. you have the asian house geckos aswell, they are also 1 hour north of where I am, havnt seen any around here though

edit: just looked at some records, one was found 5 mintutes from my house :( looks like I am gonna have something new to take up my time soon, CANE TOAD HUNTING:lol:

Last edited:
that is a fake, they dont get that big, if they did we would have a lot more endangered animals then we do now because of them

Yea that one is fake, you can tell by looking at his hands where he's holding the legs
They do get up to about 3ocm though, but rare. Iv seen one not far off it, a few actually, all way out in the bush away from people.

This is about as big as they get

Attachments

• ed_imgSNN2812gx1_540_29400a.jpg
    ed_imgSNN2812gx1_540_29400a.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 22
Whoever decided to bring cane toads in to Australia should get the cane!

*ba doom tsh* :lol:

Poor crocs :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back