Today Tonight at it's glorious best.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

megrim

Reaction score
Usually I avoid infomercials like Today Tonight and ACA, but I sat down and just watched a bit of TT this evening while waiting for diner to cook.

Did anyone else happen to catch their enlightening segment on sharks in Australian waters?. I knew it was going to be bad as soon as I heard the 80's inspired "evil metal-rock" background music. Y'know, the same music they use for drug-addicted teenage mothers or shonky building practices.
This astounding piece of infotainment went on to contain such memorable quotes as - "The only good shark is a dead shark", "It's all sharks y'gotta watch out for... All of 'em" and "If we're not allowed to come out here and catch them the numbers'll keep rising, and more people are gonna die". Now I've come to expect this sort of tripe from these shows, but tonight's segment really took my breath away.

I spent most of the 15 minutes or so trying not to throw up in my mouth.

The worse part is, I think most of us actually know people who watch these cash-for-segment bullplop shows and take them seriously. I shudder to think of where this sort of mentality could lead this country.

/endwhine.

edited for my usual lack of spelling and grammar.

yes i only saw the ad and i have been abusing that show for about 2 years since the chasers opened my eyes on them, until someone points it out you dont see how stupid it is i had to show my mum the stupidity of the segments and the classic "segaways"

but the ad had the "the only type of shark is a dead one" on it which is so stupid where in THEIR terriotry
we dont own the whole world.

Yes i saw that, i particularly liked the quote our beaches, as if the sharks were invading our territory

Last edited:
The only time I have watched those two wonderous shows has been the "condensed" versions that where aired on the "Chaser's War On Everything". (and even then they did not need to do much editing to turn a "news" based program into a comedy)

It's that type of media tripe that causes hysteria in the gullable,uneducated,can't think for themselves masses. The sharks are not a real threat to the ordinary person enjoying a day at the beach. On every occasion so far the shark attacks have been mistaken identity. Surfers particularly know the risks they take and accept them as part of doing what they love. It all boils down to the fact the human species has this inbuilt fear of being killed by another animal (species). We blindly accept the killing of our species by one of our own species as normal but God help any other poor creature if it so dears to even have a sniff at us.

Simply put Leave the Sharks alone they can't help takeing a nibble every now and then. The human species obviously takes terrible as they nearly always spit us back out and go straight for a mouth wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back