Tongue issue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsniel Paravicini

Reaction score
I have a baby rough scale that i noticed had some kind of growth in his tongue sheath. It came out no problem with slight pressure on it and was the consistency of wadded up toilet paper with what appeared to be a hole through it as if it was growing around the tongue to the point where it got too big and the tongue couldn't go through. The snakes appears to be fine and even ate just prior to noticing this, except it now cannot stick out it tongue.

Anybody have snakes with tongue issues ? I can't imagine it will survive if it cannot protrude its tongue ?

With proper care it should survive but it may need help tracking it's food. Other than that I doubt it would be a huge problem. They rely on their tongues for safety and hunting. Being domestic, it is kept safe and doesn't need to hunt so it should really be fine.
Unlikely it would survive in the wild though.
Curious as to what the "growth" was...

I personally haven't seen anything else , however it is still inside. he's eating fine and drinking. i just hope it doesn't hinder hinder become a problem.

Back