Too Good to be True!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harlemrain

Reaction score
As most of you would've seen, on Facebook they have numerous auction pages, used for locals to sell their crap on.

I was casually browsing one the other day and came across the nicest lady advertising "Free to good home, 2 Blue & Gold Macaws" :rolleyes: for laughs I asked if she was really giving away what would easily be a couple k worth birds, she then wanted my home address to drop them off. Nothing suss there.

And don't forget of course we have the lovely gentleman on here with Iguanas for sale :facepalm:

Anyone else have weird n wonderful scammer stories?

I was selling one of my horses and it was advertised at $50,000 we had a gentleman from South Africa email me saying he was interested and if I sent him my PayPal account details he would pay me a ten grand deposit to hold it until he could come over to collect it, ( nothing outta the ordinary so far we have sold them internationally before) after we sent him details we got a email saying he had deposited it and his agent would come round to organise delivery the next day a lady shows up all nice and sweet then when she sees horse starts accusing us of misrepresentation and demanded we gave them there $10000 deposit back in cash then and there, well not wonting to ruin our name I calmly asked her to give me a few seconds so I could email PayPal make sure money was in account when I went back outside she was screaming off in her car at a million miles an hour after ringing cops found out a couple had been hitting a lot of sellers of high quality animals and had actually stolen a fair bit of cash number plates were recorded on CCTV handed to police hopefully they have managed to arrest them

are we allow to make citizen arrests in australia ? for example grab that horse thief above and hold her until the cops arrive

And don't forget of course we have the lovely gentleman on here with Iguanas for sale :facepalm:

lol what....hes selling iguanas? haha i gotta see this, can you link me?

yes we can make a citizens arrest and we must have prof of the crime they commited, security guards are the same we have no power to arrest anyone except using a citizens arrest. i don't work as a security guard any more but remember the law clearly regarding arrest. also you can use reasonable force but your best off only doing it if you have cameras around so you can prove it or have a friend/ family member around if the situation turns bad.

i always see adds for free macaws, pure breed pups and albino pythons. i regulary get people emailing asking for my paypal details to buy something. and because of all the scammers i refuse. its cash on pick up or bank deposit and i send the item after the money clears.

are we allow to make citizen arrests in australia ? for example grab that horse thief above and hold her until the cops arrive

Yes if you have reasonable belief that they will continue to break the law, also you can only use absolutely reasonable force. It is generally frowned upon though because when arrested you are required to have your rights read to you etc.

So in theory yes but in reality probably shouldn't because it can affect the legitimacy of the arrest

I pulled over a teenager on a pit bike that was screaming up and down my road and then called the police and they informed me that if I held him I would be charged and it would be best to just let him go so I let him go and kept his bike until he returned with his parents. They were not too impressed with him.

You need to be careful especially with younger under age persons because you can get charged with holding someone against there will similar to kidnap just not so bad, generally speaking I'd let the mongrels go just incase it gets violent

I was selling one of my horses and it was advertised at $50,000 we had a gentleman from South Africa email me saying he was interested and if I sent him my PayPal account details he would pay me a ten grand deposit to hold it until he could come over to collect it, ( nothing outta the ordinary so far we have sold them internationally before) after we sent him details we got a email saying he had deposited it and his agent would come round to organise delivery the next day a lady shows up all nice and sweet then when she sees horse starts accusing us of misrepresentation and demanded we gave them there $10000 deposit back in cash then and there, well not wonting to ruin our name I calmly asked her to give me a few seconds so I could email PayPal make sure money was in account when I went back outside she was screaming off in her car at a million miles an hour after ringing cops found out a couple had been hitting a lot of sellers of high quality animals and had actually stolen a fair bit of cash number plates were recorded on CCTV handed to police hopefully they have managed to arrest them

Got the same thing going now, selling hubby's car and someone from Malaysia wants to buy it and wants my PayPal details. My reply was cash on collection or direct bank deposit please haha

It makes me wonder how people can fall for blatantly obvious scams, like my grandmother for example. :(

Unfortunately people still have an inherent belief in the goodness of people. Being a rather jaded individual myself there is still a small part of me that tries to think the best of people and that is what is preyed upon.

A few years back I was selling my motorcycle, had an email from a guy saying he worked on an oil rig and wanted to purchase my bike for his Dad. After a few back and forth emails and a phone call he asked if he could organise a courier to pick up at his expense. I replied with, after clear funds happy to oblige. He called back saying he needed the courier paid via a wire transfer to Western Union(I think it was) as being where he was he couldn't do a wire transfer. All this was to scam me of a couple of hundred bucks. Seemed a lot of effort for such little return. Needless to say I didn't bite at this point and he disappeared.

I have had about 6 people try and scam me on the one item i am currently selling. Its with the paypal/western union scam they even threatened legal action hahaha. Told them I traced there IP address and ISP and took a screen shot of their face through there computer camera and never heard back lol.

Reading a for sale thread (very recently) when I saw an add reading "DARWIN FOR SALE " . wow that's a bit presumptuous I thought . :oops: does everyone know about this ????

Usually it is people trying to make a quick buck that get scammed or a few really gullible people. I am not talking about the people who were wise and stopped the scam happening. Some people will jump on a deal that is too good to be true to try and make a quick buck and then you also have the poor old ladies as well.

My brother got ripped for $5500 he stupidly paid for a car on eBay, western union payment to another state. Has learnt to be very cynical about transactions that can't be done face to face now.

Rick

As most of you would've seen, on Facebook they have numerous auction pages, used for locals to sell their crap on.

I was casually browsing one the other day and came across the nicest lady advertising "Free to good home, 2 Blue & Gold Macaws" :rolleyes: for laughs I asked if she was really giving away what would easily be a couple k worth birds, she then wanted my home address to drop them off. Nothing suss there.

I have a page on facebook (sales related), and a lady kept asking for my number, address and postcode so she could send me pastel ball pythons I kept saying no to her and she kept pestering me to take them I also said they are illegal to keep in Aus and she went on to say no there not my fiancé brought them back from the US for me, im pretty sure its the same lady you are talking a about she was also trying to sell German shepherds she lives in Tas as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Best not to trust anyone. The worst I've had is on Ebay and that is hard to be certain about. Someone with 97% positive feedback was selling an item in 'immaculate' condition. Turned out the pics weren't even of the actual item being sold. Arrived in pretty poor nick. Lucky it wasn't expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back